Sunday, October 11, 2020


 Do We in the USA live in a Democracy?

The inspiration for this post was a recent broadcast I listened to where our Democracy needs to be ready for ever changing moral standards and being flexible to meet the needs of our current Society.  A true Democracy reflects the will of the Majority.  Unfortunately, while this sounds great in concept there are those who really feel that the Will of the People is the real purpose of our Society today.  Some even feel that our basic document – The Constitution – is a Living Document and must be altered to agree with the majority.  I suspect that the recent broadcast I heard was but one point of vies as our U. S. Senate commences the Hearings on the pending Supreme Court Justice tomorrow, October 12, 2020.  I know that my own concept as I learned in the same one Room Country School discussed in the following quote from my facebook post of a few minutes ago is that our Supreme Court is charged with understanding the Constitution and the application to situations that are brought an accepted by that same court.  The Court does not need to comply with the will of the majority.  They are charged with insuring that the provisions of our Constitution are adhered to.

 

The Judicial Branch is not in the business of making laws.  You and I learned that our U. S. Senate and House of Representatives make the Laws.  A definite separation of “Power!!!”

 

I often hear esteemed Journalist and Peers discuss our U.S.A. as a Democracy. Certainly sounds great. However the education I received in a "One Room Country School" many years ago stressed the fact that we all enjoy and live in a "Republic!"

Just in case you do not understand this concept please review the following:

 

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

 

I Pledge allegiance to our Flag and to the Republic when I recite this Pledge. For additional background on Alan please be aware that I am proud of my U. S. Navy Heritage and also look forward to living in the U.S.A. - The Republic!!!

 



No comments: