Friday, October 09, 2009

Employment Opportunities in the U. S. A.
Your Credit Report and Possible Employment
During a recent "talk radio" broadcast I learned that our Federal Law Makers my be considering the enactment of a law/or laws that would make it illegal for a potential employer to use credit report information when deciding if to hire a job applicant.
Labor Lawyers decry the current system where Employers can obtain Credit Information on a job applicant and use this credit information/report as but one tool in determining if a job candidate should be hired.
The Labor Lawyers state that this would discriminate against Minority Groups and Women the most.
Consider with me for a moment what could possibly happen if this proposed legistation concerning using Credit Report Information/Rating was banned by Federal Law in the decision process regarding the hiring of new employees.
Suppose I own a company, any company; which I do not, and I needed new workers. If I am banned from using Credit Report Information and as the Labor Lawyers state the use of same would discriminate against Minorities and Women I guess my first cut in hiring a reliable employee to work for me would be to reject any Minority and/or Woman after I had conducted the initial interview. Simple Enough!!! As the Labor Lawyers indicated, these are the most likely to bring my company failure so why hire them?
From my point of view, if I ever own a company, I would hire the best qualified and I would desire to see Credit Report Information. Reliable employees can help a business grow. If I have my personal fortune at stake I would not trust anyone who could not provide a good Credit Record. The proposed legistlation would prevent this so I would do the next best thing as regards any future hiring.
I would encourage our esteemed Law Makers to consider the consequences prior to enacting any Law/or Laws that would prevent obtaining a Credit Report on a possible/potential employee.
So my next concern is: "Would any Lawmaker on the Federal Level hire an employee to work in his/her Senate/Representative Staff without performing a complete Background Check which would include a Credit Report?"
After all these fine folks are involved in our National Security and also the Best Interest of "We The People."
I suspect that they would not let any body work for them that would possibly bring them great discredit.
Thank You!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Health problems in a family often lead to financial disaster and, bankruptcy. My spouse, for example, had almost used his limit of $2 million in health care on our insurance policy. Fortunately, he was close to age 65 and would have soon qualified for Medicare.
Our next move would have been to sell the farms and after that declare bankruptcy if necessary. My credit report would not have looked good to a perspective employer.