Thursday, October 01, 2009

Happy Meals
by
McDonald's
Many, many years ago when I owned a a light blue Ford Ranger pickup and I was working the night shift at a local factory here in Bibb County I suspected that my Bride was overcome with grief as she was to soon observe forty years of life.
The Ford Motor Company had a neat commercial on television that featured "Fun Trucking" with an upbeat melody. So on the afternoon of her birthday I told her to get in the Ford Ranger and that we were going to do a bit of "Fun Trucking." You may also like to know that I opened the sliding rear window and kept the driver and passenger wide windows open. We set off on our "Fun Trucking" route which I had not shared with my Bride. We traveled up Riverside Drive toward Northside Drive and I pulled into the McDonald's parking lot.

On entry to the establishment shown above which was formerly a McDonald's I seated my Bride at a quite table for two. I recall that no one else was present. It was about 4:30 P.M. and I went to the counter and ordered two happy meals. One with a boy toy and the other with a girl toy. My Bride could see me, but she did not hear what I asked the young male order taker to do. I quickly passed him a dollar bill and asked that he deliver the two happy meals to our table and to also sing "Happy Birthday" to my Bride. This was in September of 1991 and as you can see from the above picture, this establishment is no longer a McDonald's.

It was a fun evening, however by the time the next birthday rolled around, I learned that I had started a tradition. We continued our yearly Birthday Trips to the scene of the first event, however the passage of time required that we change the location to the McDonald's on Forsyth Road here in Macon. Since the Forsyth Road location was sold out to become a dry cleaner operation we have had to travel to Zebulon Road in West Bibb County for our yearly Happy Meal Celebration's of my Bride's Birthday.

The 2009 Celebration was conducted at the McDonald's shown in the picture below. You will also note, if you look closer that the Ford Ranger has been replaced with a full size Dodge pickup.


For those who may be wondering what my Bride looks like and how she savors the Annual tradition I would invite you to view the 2009 "Fun Trucking, Celebrate My Bride's Birthday Party with yet another "Happy Meal."

Thanks go to the McDonald's organization for allowing a fun tradition to continue in Macon, Georgia.





No comments: