Thursday, June 03, 2010

"We Can Do Better"
#3
As I continue my campaign to be elected to Serve I desire to share with you the following. I firmly believe that it is proper to prepare one's self for public office. In this regard I have read the following book: "The World Is Flat" by Thomas L. Friedman, a New York Times Columnist. This book was first published in 2005 but it has been updated in 2007.
I am currently reading "The Other Wes Moore" which has a subtitle of: "One Name, Two Fates" by Wes Moore which was published in 2010.
I share these two titles with you because they both place major emphasis on education. I also believe that it is important for the electors to know that there is an abundance of information available for their own education.
Now an Update on my activities:
2 June 2010: I attended the Called Meeting of the Bibb County School Board. The sole purpose of this meeting was to launch the work of the Search Firm as regards the hiring of a new Superintendent for the School System. This meeting garnered a lot of press in "The Telegraph" of Thursday 3 June 2010 so I will not go into great detail here.
However, I would like to report that the Search Firm will employ three methods of collecting information as regards the qualifications for the next Superintendent. They Will be:
1. On Line Responses from the Public
2. Individual Interviews
3. Focus Groups/Small Group Meetings of the Public
These three activities will happen rather fast in as much as the goal is to acquire appropriate stakeholder response so that a "Profile" can be developed as the Search Firm advertises for the position.
Each of these three methods of collecting information will be employed and will be promoted in the local print and electronic media. It is my recommendation to the Citizens of Bibb County that they participate. At this time, Option 1 appears to be the most appropriate because it will allow everyone to share their thoughts and concerns in a private manner. I was informed that the process will be set up so that no one individual can "Spam" the On Line Response Web Site with multiple responses.
Now for my own Concern in this the "We Can Do Better" Post #3. I would suggest that the parents of Scholars become engaged in the Education of their Children. Please remember that the word engaged is quite different from the word involvement. I use the word engaged to mean that parents are performing as parents of Scholars in their own homes. Involvement is usually considered as the task parents and grandparents perform at the local school/s.
In this regard I would also suggest that our Bibb County School System require that the Leaders of our Middle Schools and our High Schools require that all Parents and Guardians sign a pledge such as the Staff of the Four Grant High Schools had to recently sign in order to continue their employment. We all know that the $24,000,000.00 will be much more effective as a tool to improve our Scholars Education with parent/guardian engagement.
Our Future Adult Citizens deserve the best. Now we must all step up to the Plate and also Do Our Own Best as we prepare our "Future Adult Citizens." Thank You!!!!
Published by Alan Thiese
Candidate for Post 8, Bibb County Georgia School Board

2 comments:

Norma said...

I think you also read Caught in the Middle. Of course, that is about the rust belt in middle america but it does give some insights into society, economics and the way technology has changed the world of work.

Alan said...

Not Yet!!!!