Sunday, November 08, 2020

 


We Remember in Bibb County

Georgia

As we look forward to observing Veterans Day 2020 I took the opportunity to visit a very simple, yet timely site on the Dixie Highway, which we know as Highway 41 from Macon to Bolingbroke, Georgia.  These six markers are between Broadleaf Drive and Fairmont Drive less than one mile Northwest of the Bass/Foster Road intersection with Highway 41.  The most recognized landmark is Martha Bowman United Methodist Church.   As you travel to Bolingbroke these special markers are on the right side of the road.  In order to learn about the orgin of these markers I conducted some research.  Here is what I found:

Memorial Day and the Dixie Highway Road of Rememberance
A remnant of the Road of Remembrance is located on US 19/41(Forsyth Road) just north of downtown Macon. These memorial markers were installed by the Dixie Highway Women's Auxiliary of Bibb County in 1927 to honor the veterans of World War I. Memorials placed along Houston Road, south of Macon, were later removed during roadwork and are now housed in the Porter-Ellis Community Center.

Here are several pictures that I took today, November 8th as I prepared to make this post.  I was able to get close up photos of each Heroes Plaque on these marker post which were appropriately honored with a small U. S. Flag. You will be able to read the names and the organization of each Hero.










I do not know who places the Flags on these Markers, however a Thank You is appropriate.  "Thank You." 
I think You can click on each photo and view it in a larger format.   

I suggest that you take the short trip out U. S. Highway 41 and view this emotional tribute for yourself.  







 

No comments: