Sunday, November 21, 2021

 


2021 Holiday 

to the Holy Land

(aka) Iowa

Today, 21 November 2021 which is two months after the end of this Holiday I will start to relate the events and include where appropriate a few pictures to show that a Wonderful time was had by all.  This Holiday started on 1 September 2021.

We departed our Home early enough that we thought we would have a wonderful Breakfast at "O.K. Cafe" on the Nortwest side of Atlanta.  We traveled through Atlanta in the HOV lane and were diverted at the North end of the I-75 and I-85 interchange just North of what was formerly the location of the Varsity.  The HOV Lanes were closed wo se traveled Northeast on I-85 to Spaghetti Junction where we transitioned to the Loop on I-85 Westbound to I-75 North of Atlanta.  Of course this prevented us from enjoying breakfast at the O.K. Cafe which would have required us to backtrack which we decided not to do.  This caused us to enjoy Breakfast at a Cracker Barrel somewhere in North Georgia.  The travel for the balance of the day was uneventful.  However My Bride used her Phone to learn that a fiery automobile wreck in Atlanta was the cause of the HOV shutdown.  We were able to press on to Terre Haute, Indiana where we sought refuge for the night at a well regarded Hotel Chain known as "Holiday Inn Express and Suites" at 2645 South Joe Fox Street.  This was the second challenge of the Holiday.  I soon discovered that this Hotel Chain had hired a person or persons unknown to me to run down the Halls on various Levels to slam doors to keep the Guest annoyed.  Note to Self:  If I ever check into this Hotel at this location again I will ask for "ear Plugs."  Future Problem/s solved.  After a Hotel Breakfast (provided in the rate structure) we set off for the adventures of Day Two - 2 September!

The equipment in our Car had the automated "Tire Pressure" light/s and we had a problem.  We searched for a fuel station that had an Air Pump and found one that had an automated Air Replacement System (ARS) for the sum of $2.00.  Again Problem Solved.  We arrived in Northeast Iowa the location of My Birth many years ago and were content with the travels after My Bride stopped at the "Farm Toy Outlet" in Dyersville to commence Her 2021 Christmas Shopping for some of the Little People in our lives.  

The next stop involved the famed "Field of Dreams" which we have visited many times.  










After this stop it was a few miles North to Monona, Iowa where we stopped for the evening and a few more days until My Sister tired of us and we would move on.  We enjoyed a Wonderful Evening in St. Olaf, Iowa.  I had previously heard of the famous "Pork Tenderloin Sandwich" that was available at the St. Olaf Tavern so I had to take up the challenge of enjoying this one-pound Tenderloin on a normal size bun.  It was great.  In as much as I was not the designated driver I also consumed and appreciated two Iowa Mixed/Poured Margaritas.

Four Pictures from the St. Olaf Tavern.








3 September - Day Three.  After a soothing night of sleep at My Sister's Bed and Breakfast - Again She was the Designated Driver we set out for Decorah Iowa and the Home of "Toppling Goliath Brewing Company" to meet Her Daughter and My God Daughter since 1972.  

"Toppling Goliath" was founded in 2009 and has a Reputation among Beer Lovers everywhere.  

When we arrived My God Daughter was already there and we went in to see what this place was all about.


Once we were seated, which did not take long I could not make up my mind as to what I should consume.  I selected a Flight of Five as you can see here.  Here is a close up of my five selections:





We also enjoyed Pizza which paired well with the Beer selections offered!


As we enjoyed the Pizza and Beer I was asked which one I appreciated the most!   I responded by stating "Intergalactic Warrior" which is an India Pale Ale.  As we departed I was presented a pack of this Beer.  Thank You!!!!!



4 September - Day Four.  We planned this Holiday to Iowa once we received an Invitation to the Tenth Anniversary Invitation to a Party Honoring My Nephew and His Bride.  This was a Saturday and the day set aside for the Party, which was a Garden Party, at the Home of the Nephew when He was a Child and His Dad, My Sibling Brother.  This is the Farm Home where My Siblings and I enjoyed Our Youth as Wonderful "Farm Kids."  This Nephew is also the "God-Son" of My Bride so we both considered it important to be in Iowa for this Garden Party.  The food and beverages, Mild and Adult beverages were in abundant supply.  My Brother took great pride in having the "Iowa Bootlegger Special 'Templeton Rye'" available for me to enjoy and appreciate, which I did.  Once again, I was not the designated Driver.  Here are a few pictures from this Garden Party.


The Siblings!


The Sisters!


The Siblings shown with some significant others.
Unfortunately for us who remain, some have passed on to 
Better Gardens!!

5 September. Day Five.  This was a Sunday and My Bride and I attended Worship Services with our Host, My Sister and also the Designated Driver I have discussed earlier.


This congregation meets at 8:30 A.M. each Sunday!  After the Service we participated in the Fellowship of Worshippers and I was able to once again discuss Farming with the Young Man who rents My Sister's Corn and Bean acreage.  He is the Nephew of one of Her deceased Husband's Family.  

We then traveled to Guttenberg, Iowa to Worship at 12:30 P,M. at the Church where I was a Young Lutheran many years ago.  Of course we took a few pictures.  This one is across the street and is a Monument to Honor and also Memoralize the Local Heroes who have served our Great Nation.




We also visited the Memorial Park in Monona, Iowa that also Honors our Nation's Heroes.  This Park, like the one in Guttenberg was developed entirely with private donations.






On Sunday evening we gathered at the Home of one of My other Sisters and Her Husband for an evening of Fellowship and Pizza.  One would think we were Italians but we did descent from German stock however we all appreciate great food and beverages!!!

6 September - Day Six.  Labor Day found Alan relaxing while My Bride and My Sister performed retail therapy.  I conducted a Photo Shoot in the Lovely Gardens surrounding My Sister's County Home.










I believe that each of us inherited our love for flowers and lovely shrubs from out Mom, who always had lovely flowers.  She often placed arrangements from Her Gardens in the Church which we all attended in Guttenberg.  I must also state that with at least four feet of rich Iowa topsoil growing Flowers is not the demanding challenge that faces other Gardeners in other parts of the USA.

We concluded Labor Day Events with a lovely Dinner at the "Clayton Lighthouse" which is on the banks of the Mississippi River in Clayton, Iowa.  Clayton, Iowa is the location of my birth, although it was at a Farm Home near Clayton.  Here again I enjoyed a Margarita!!   This concluded Day Six!




















No comments: