Thursday, February 29, 2024

 Being Responsible

The Situation was resolved today, March 14, 2024 at 1:03 P.M.  Ryland picked up the Yard Trash.  Thanks to the involvement of a Bibb County Commissioner.



I retired from the U. S. Navy on 31 December 1981 and chose Macon, Georgia to be My Home for My Bride and Two Sons.  

In 1982 the First Cherry Blossom Festival was held.  I have fond memories of taking the Cub Scout Pack on a Clean Up prior to the Festival.  We picked up Trash on Riverside Drive from Pierce Avenue to Riverside Ford if I recall correctly.  It was a learning opportunity for us to learn about our fellow citizens who choose to be careless with their trash.

On 29 February 1992 My Bride and I as well as our two boys moved into our current Home.  Since then our boys have married and have families of their own and they reside where the job opportunities have given them great opportunities.

So much for that.  Today, 29 February 2024 I placed the "Pink Poodles" at our driveway in preparation for the 42nd Cherry Blossom Festival.


Did anyone have to tell me, Alan to do this task. No!! It choose to live in Macon and I am proud to be part of the annual celebration.

So, why this history?  

When I served in the U. S. Navy and served as the Leading Administrative Person on the USS Sellers (DDG-11) homeported in Charleston, S.C. we frequently left port for local operations and then a the big Cruise to the "Med" in 1971.  Prior to any departure from the homeport for any time at Sea it was my responsibility to submit a "Absent On Sailing Diary" via Mail to the Atlantic Fleet Personnel Accounting Command.  If we ever experienced a disaster at sea and sunk the families of those on board would be notified.  Of course those who were not on the ship would not have their families notified.  It was part of My Job.  At no time before we left port did the Commanding Officer tell me that I had to turn on the typewriter so I could type up the "Absent On Sailing Diary!"  I was trained to perform this task.  It was also my responsibility.  So the problem I want to discus today is this.  The "Yard Trash" at My home has not been picked up in three weeks.  It is supposed to be picked up every other week on Thursday.  I took this picture at 4:00 P.M. today, February 29th which is a Thursday.  There for no matter which week it was supposed to be picked up, the Contractor has failed.  I suspect that the Driver for the Contractor has been trained.  I also know that I do not have to call the Contractor.  He is getting paid by the Macon-Bibb County Government.  I also suspect that the Driver's Boss does not have to tell the Driver to "Pick Up Alan's Yard Trash" when he departs the Terminal on the appropriate Thursday.

I am sharing this post with My Elected Officials.  I do not know if our Mayor calls you, or tells you to be at a specific Commissioner Meeting.  You know your job and the schedule is published in an appropriate manner.  I also suspect that Our Governor does not call you to tell you to be in Atlanta for the Scheduled Sessions.  You have been made aware of the schedule and know when to be in Atlanta if you are a Member of the Macon-Bibb Delegation.  


I post this today to make this situation a matter of record.  We all know that as we prepare for and look forward to the 42nd Cherry Blossom Festival that we are anticipating many tourist to visit Macon, Georgia.  We simply all must do better in executing our responsibilities.  If I recall correctly I make my payments to the Tax Commissioner for weekly trash service.  I suspect that all of the Duly Elected Officials that run our Local and State Governments also do their individual responsibilities. 

Looking forward to a Clean and Neat Macon-Bibb County as we Celebrate!   Thank You!

No comments: