Friday, September 07, 2007

An Example of Contempt
Of course I am seeing red. Yesterday, September 6th I had the opportunity to visit the Washington Park on Magnolia Street in the Heart of Macon, Georgia. I took the opportunity to visit this delightful spot during a break in my day from doing some volunteer work and then proceeding to a part time employment opportunity that I enjoy in Macon. During this break, which was about 11:30 A.M. I consumed a sack lunch with the additonal goal of enjoying the cool noontime breezes that abounded in Washington Park.
As I parked on the South side of Magnolia Street I could not help but note the plethora of papers strewn about near a concrete and stone bench on the North side of Washington Park. After enjoying my sack lunch I was determined to investigate the situation. On a street sign which also proclaimed this park as a Drug Free Zone there was a flyer indicating that the Park was reserved for Saturday, September 2nd, 2007 from the period of about 4:30 P.M. through 7:00 P.M. The purpose of the reservation was for the Shay-Baber Wedding. Please note that during the recent rains that the spellings above may be incorrect because some inks do run when wet.
The person making the reservation with the Macon Parks and Recreation Department was listed as a "Joy Shay.
As I walked toward College Street I picked up one of the sheets of adrift paper and noted that it was a Google Map with directions from Magnolia Street to 108 1st Street in Macon, Georgia 31201. Now if this nuptial celebration was relocated because of rain, or any other reason on Sunday, September 2nd, it would seem to me that some responsible person from the Shay Family would have collected the excess Google Maps rather than chose to let they blow around in Macon, Georgia.
Please note that the reservation was for September 2nd and I was visiting this Washington Park on Thursday, September 6th. I would have thought that four days would have been adequate time for some responsible person to have cleaned up this plethora of litter. But it would appear to me that this "Family" chose to display total disrespect and demonstrate their contempt for the City of Macon, the citizens who live in Macon, and all who visit Macon on business or social activities.
I have called the Parks and Recreation Department to voice my concern about this lack of consideration by individuals who reserve Macon's Parks. Unfortunately I was exposed to the Voice Mail and chose not to leave a message. I did contact the Macon City Hall and was able to talk directly to a "Customer Service Representative" to share my concern about the contempt of a citizen who appears to have displayed total contempt toward the Wonderful Parks we all enjoy in Macon. This Customer Service Representative listened to my concerns; but appeared to be more concerned with who was calling in the compliant versus what the problem or concern was/is.
I make this a Blog entry today to let my peers, those who love our Middle Georgia know that we have a few among us who are able to display total disrespect to the wonderful facilities that so many labor to maintain for the enjoyment and pleasure of us all.
Thank You!!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't understand how somebody that has such pride in their own beliefs and opinion that they post a blog can not use some kind of common sense. You make an assumption and in the process are making this couple out to be some evil polluters with "contempt" for the city of Macon. You know what they say when you assume..., I'm sure you know the rest. You also happened to provide the fact that there were alot of storms during that time, hmmmm....I don't know, but is there wind when it storms. That couldn't have been the culprit, nah....then we couldn't have been blessed to read such wonderful thoughts of a person of your intelligence. The couple you have spread lies about in this blog happen to be good friends of mine and I was actually a member of the wedding party. They both loved Washington Park and would have loved to have the ceramony there if it wasn't for the weather. There was no contempt for the park or Macon or nature or you.

Alan said...

Flower Child responds. Normally after a Wedding the Bride and Groom depart for a time of quiet reflection and exploration. We here in the Western World refer to this time as a "Honey Moon." I have yet to attend a wedding where anyone in the Wedding Party also went on the Honey Moon. All I was suggesting was that someone from "The Wedding Party" could have traveled the five or six blocks back to Washington Park after the Reception to pick up the remaining Maps. We all know that storms and wind usually do not last for four days.