Friday, October 19, 2007

"Many in U.S. can't afford basics"
This was a headline on page 10C of "The Telegraph" here in Macon, Georgia this past Monday, October 15th. A few comments and observations from the Flower Child appear to be in order and also appropriate.
  • Back during the days of my involvement with the U. S. Navy, a wise old Chief informed me when I was a tender Seaman that no Sailor had any business getting married until he had achieved the rank of E-5. I adhered to that statement, and it was still a challenge to provide for my young family.
  • Needs (basics) and Wants are two entirely different sets of objectives when we consider what it takes to have a satisfying life. Consider for a brief moment, that we here in the United States of America have achieved the higher standard of living for our citizens than any large country on the Planet.
  • The headlined article stated that one in five Americans in working families can not afford basic needs. We need better wages and mandates for employers to provide more and better benefits. A great concept, indeed.
  • But before we rush out to implement more programs to enhance the lot of our one in five, maybe we should also consider why this has happened.
  • Have these needly citizens prepared themselves for the "High End" employment opportunities that abound in our Land? Did they take their Primary and Secondary Education opportunities seriously?
  • Just recently I read that a mere 28 percent of our Nation's Youth in the prime target age for military service are considered mentally/morally/physically qualified to defend our way of life. That is indeed a sad situation.
  • I know that in my own life, that my Military Service allowed me to achieve greatness. After all, there are not enough Farms in Iowa for all the Farmer's Sons.

For those who may be concerned about my last statement above, I have greatness because I am satisfied with my lot in life. I have needs and they are being met. I have wants, but I have also learned to live within my means. My mantra in life has always been "To enjoy life." I am happy in my own skin. It is true that I could be more wealthy, I could be more well known; but in the end, I am happy in my own skin. Yes, I stated this fact twice. But I think you can appreciate what I mean.

I certainly feel that we, as a society have let our future citizens, our current students down. We must develop future generations that appreciate what they have and they must also learn that they are indeed responsible for their own future. I state this, not to detract from the importance of "Faith" and "Religion," to to clearly say that one must dedicate some time in their youth to preparing themselves for the dynamic future that is available to anyone who even attempts to do well.

We can not always rely on our good, old "Uncle Sam," to enable us forever. Those who are currently working to support our way of Government and our duly elected Leaders must carefully consider the impact of what they are currently doing. Basics, Needs and Wants will always be with us all. We must all learn what is really necessary and we must all learn what we can to achieve our goals. Ask anyone involved in Middle School and High School Sports about working hard to achieve goals. They, to a person will quickly inform you that preparation is essential to achieving greatness.

1 comment:

Alan said...

Comment by Flower Child. A Friend of mine in Iraq as a Civilian sent me this message:

Well put, "comfortable in my own skin". I can relate to that but I think that this wisdom comes with a certain amount of grey hair. Please give some thought to the other big myth in our country that politicians like to bring up and that is that 47 million Americans, including 8.7 million children, have no health insurance. No one in this great country of ours is refused treatment at any of our fine medical facilities based on citizenship or lack of a paid insurance plan. The fact is that our emergency rooms have become the defacto provider of health care in this country because so many of our citizens are on the dole and don't have an employer to provide health care benefits. Have a great day in MaconGa. I am doing OK here in Iraq today. We are even getting a little rain today.