Sunday, March 07, 2010

Happy Birthday Alan
The Flower Child is Surprised
March 6, 2010

I have participated in several American Legion Oratorical Contest as a Volunteer and also as a member of the audience. Several months ago I read the Georgia Legion Newspaper and ascertained that the 2010 Contest would be held at Post Three here in Macon, Georgia.

Thus I was unaware that my Bride and my Children had started planning a surprise Birthday Party for me. The above picture is what the Breakfast Room Table looked like when I arrived home. Of course I was surprised. Not all of the attendees had arrived but I was welcomed home with the traditional Birthday Song.

Here I am, the Birthday Boy with the lovely Cake that was provided by my oldest Son and his Family. Following you will be able to see sgements of the Cake which tell the story of my life.

Most everyone knows that Alan was an Iowa Farm Boy for the first 21 years of his life. Note the Chickens, Sheep, Pig and the Cow in the above decoration. You will also see the picture of a Farm Kid. The truth of the matter is that I wore overalls. I was a very skinny kid and the bib overalls worked best for me. At least that is what my Parents told me. I was the oldest of six Iowa Farm Kids and we all now have fond memories of our days as Farm Kids, although at the time it was sometimes difficult for us to appreciate all the chores we performed.

The second 21 year span of my life involved service in the United States Navy. This decoration of the Navy Seal means a lot to me also. I served on four different ships and three different shore stations, which included Washington, D.C.; London, England; and Macon, Georgia.
After my Navy Duty I retired in Macon, Georgia. If you view the entire cake above you will see that I also worked at Brown and Williamson Tobacco Company here in Macon. I did not include that segment of the cake because I can only publish five pictures in each post.

The final decoration on the Cake included a Camera and the backside views of two Grandchildren. I am currently enjoying a full retirement and also enjoying Grandchildren along with the hobby of photography.
In as much as I am now living in Georgia it was impossible for all of my Family to attend this event. We will visit Missouri and Iowa this Summer and I am already looking forward to attending a Cardinals Game with my Son in Saint Louis. His Bride also designed the "Surprise Birthday Invitation."
After the Saint Louis Stop we will then journey to the Holy Land, Northeast Iowa. I will then celebrate my 70 years on this Planet with my many Siblings and a host of Neices and Nephews.
A very nice surprise Birthday Party.





3 comments:

Norma said...

Wow! What a cake!
Chocolate or vanilla?

Alan said...

Chocolate and vanilla swirls.

Yes it was a very nice cake and it reflected my entire life.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.