Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Property Tax Roll-Back
Macon, Georgia
Public Hearing of March 9, 2010

Even though I do not reside in the City of Macon, Georgia I decided to attend the final hearing of three required by law before the City Council could vote on the millage rate for the 2009 Property Taxes for Macon Citizens. As is my normal procedure I arrive early at these events to gather my thoughts and to also see first hand the situation. The above picture is one of the seats in the Council Chambers of the Macon City Hall. I gave up sticking gum under the desk when I departed from Junior High School many years ago. That stated it is sort of refreshing to see that people still stick gum on desk and in this case the side of a seat in the Macon City Hall.


After I acquired the gum picture I was naturally curious to see if there were any more interesting shots to be captured in the Council Chambers. To set the stage here, there are two levels of desk. The first row is used by the Planning and Zoning Commission and are on floor level. The City Council of fifteen members set on a higher level in a horseshoe arrangment. This shot was on the floor level just behind the Planning and Zoning Desk. I found it very interesting that a fake foliage arrangement was placed on the top of two cardboard boxes so that it would be visible to Council Meeting Attendees. I am going to volunteer to construct a box for this arrangement to sit on. I am looking to the City Council to give me some guidance as to what color the Box should be painted. I can paint it red for red ink on financial reports or I can paint it any other color that they desire. Based on what I observed the box should be at least 25 inches high.

The hearing was called to order at 11:00 A.M. and I counted 34 people in attendance at that time. That number does not include the Media or the Members of City Council or the Mayor. Everyone who desired to address the Council was allowed to do so. A few supported the concept of not rolling back the millage rate that the Mayor has requested. Most speakers spoke to the current situation that the Citizens of Macon are facing and reminded the Council that now is not the time to increase property taxes. It will be interesting to learn of the City Council's action regarding this matter.


This Macon Citizen spoke to the Council and reminded them that not everyone currently has a job. She displayed this sign as she spoke. At the end of the meeting at 12:00 Noon she held it up again so that the message could be placed on their minds once again. We were told that the hearing had to last one hour as required by law. At least one speaker took the opportunity to address the Council a second time. It was a very informative Hearing.




No comments: