Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Food Cost
Just last evening the Flower Child was viewing a major network news broadcast where he was informed that the cost of our "Daily Bread" was going up. WOW!!!!! This is real news. I suppose the next thing we will hear is how the farmers of America are getting even richer. One of my recent post here discussed the fact that energy cost are increasing. Farmers need to obtain energy to produce our food stuffs. Thus the cost of our food must increase to cover the cost of production. Besides that, the food distribution network needs to increase their rates to deliver our food stuffs to our local markets.
Yes, my friends, times are changing. What can we do about it. We can all cultivate victory gardens, just like our forbearers did during World War II. But then we must realize that the cost of fertilizer is also going up. So, how can we beat the system and keep our food cost low? Sorry, my friend, we are just going to have to change our lifestyles. We will not be able to have every want we desire fulfilled. We may have to focus on needs. Maybe we will have to cease being a throw away society, which is the mantra that far too many of us currently subscribe to.
In summary, I do not think that Kroger and Publix are getting any richer. I know that Farmers are not getting any richer. Can we blame the transportation and processing companies? I do not think so. I would humbly suggest that we need to remember that for many years, we have enjoyed the lowest cost of any industralized nation on Earth when it comes to expenditures for our food items. I sincerely think our time has come. We just may have to revise our priorities, if we want to continue to eat well.

No comments: