Monday, December 24, 2007

A Perfect Christmas
On December 23 I had the pleasure of attending "The Chancel Choirs of Vineville Presbyterian Church and St. Paul's Episcopal Church" presentation of the Christmas portions of G. F. Handel's Messiah. The performance was grand and was enjoyed by the Flower Child and his Bride. There must have been 300 in attendance.
During my High School Years I developed a profound appreciation for this Masterpiece. The Mixed Chorus of the High School I attended performed the Messiah every year. There were 126 students in this small high school in rural Iowa, however there were 110 members in the Mixed Chorus. Our vocal music teacher always stated that she could teach anyone to sing. In that regard she did quite well. I have fond memories of thinking that some day I could be the First Tenor who would sing the opening to this great work. I always looked up to the lead First Tenor, who was one class ahead of me. Finally, in my Senior Year I had the opportunity to sing "Comfort ye, comfort ye my people" and the Air "Ev'ry valley shall be exalted." Since that time I have always enjoyed the performances of "The Messiah" wherever I was stationed or living.
I want to Thank the Members of both these Chancel Choirs here in Macon for this performance which certainly made Christmas 2007, perfect for the Flower Child.
Have a Blessed Christmas!!!

No comments: