Saturday, December 15, 2007

Style Guru
Have the fashion experts, the style gurus or the decorators invaded your life yet? Today we will endeavor to banish some recent myths that I, the Flower Child have been exposed to in recent years.
Recently the painting of the walls in our home was a project. During the exploration of the plethora of colors available a statement was made that the down stairs powder room would also have to be redecorated. You simply can not paint all the rooms downstairs and not redo the powder room. That was about four years ago. The down stairs powder room has not been redone and the water closet still works as well as the sink. Everything is still functioning, even though all the rooms down stairs have been repainted.
I was recently advised that the counters in our kitchen need new granite surfaces in order to keep our home competitive in today's market. An excellent idea!!!!! Recent revelations in the media have indicated that granite is often the source of unwanted radon gases. I have also recently heard of "Radon Gas Measurement Equipment" that home owners can buy to ascertain if dangerous levels of this gas are in their homes. It sounds as if the Dangerous Gas Measurement Equipment manufacturers and the Granite Counter Suppliers are each supporting each other. So the question must be asked, "Why would I want or even desire a shiny new Granite Counter Top in my Kitchen, if I must also obtain a measurement instrument to ascertain if dangerous levels of radon were in my home?"
Now to be fair, I know that radon can be dangerous. That is why, during the process of acquiring my home here in West Bibb County, Georgia that I required that a vapor barrier be installed over the soil in the crawl space. So, I am now wondering why I would procure granite for the counter top so that I will now have the potential of radon emitting from the interior fittings of my home.
Besides, as most of you readers know, the Flower Child is an avid baker and cook. During my recent baking opportunities in our kitchen, the counter top served me well. It held the necessary equipment to produce six fruit cakes and six pumpkin cranberry breads. I enjoy cooking and baking. I have also been informed that granite, to continue to maintain it's new installation shine, will more than likely have to be sealed each year.
So Fashion Experts, Style Gurus and Decorators, I appreciate your concerns and your recommendations. But to be fair, please ply your trades in areas where fashion conscious two income families reside. The Flower Child is happy and anticipates continuing to enjoy a long, productive life without the unnecessary stress of paying for all of these updates simply to satisfy those who may think that Happiness can be purchased by having the latest upgrades..............
Have a Blessed Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!!

1 comment:

SciFi Junkies said...

Alan,

Thank you for shedding some light on radon emissions from granite countertops. I'll have to do some more research, but would prefer something that is more family friendly! :)

Emily