Saturday, April 26, 2008

Carrier

The Public Broadcasting Network will commence the broadcast of a ten part Mini-Series entitled "CARRIER" on Sunday evening at 9:00 P.M. Eastern Daylight Savings Time. This Mini-Series was filmed in 2005 and features the deloyment of the USS Nimitz (CVN-68) to the Iraq Area of Operations. A total of seventeen photojournalist including the Director were embedded with the crew for this six month deployment. I, the Flower Child, watched the 30 minute pre-view of this Mini-Series and based on what I saw, it is a must see. Please take the time on Sunday, April 27 to see for your self. Each of the ten parts is a stand alone epic, but you can be certain that the Flower Child will watch each program.

The Carrier shown above is the USS Nimitz. This Carrier is currently returning to the United States of America from yet another deployment to the Far East to support the mission of the United States in the War on Terrorism.


2 comments:

KAT said...

I spent a night looking at videos on Navy cooks and carrier food/laundry services on Youtube (specifically the USS Ronald Reagan). I did get hold of some old Navy recipes before the navsup.navy.mil site was locked down. So maybe I was a dead sailor reincarnated as a computer geek.

My uncle deployed on the Ranger in the late Fifties. I saw the films he shot on board the Sara (CVA-60). I can't imagine a Jet Age Navy before the F-4 Phantom.

Alan said...

I have watched the first six programs and I have been impressed. I like the focus on the people and what they faced during the deployment.

As I always stated when anyone queried me about the U. S. Navy people and most often when they did something incorrectly: "But Sir, or Madame, We represent the Society we so ably defend." This comment usually ended the contempt that the speaker had for any one situation/person.