Thursday, August 21, 2008

Customer Service - Duh!!!!!!
The following is a dialogue that I originated in my quest to locate a place to turn in "Pull Tabs" in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities. It clearly reflects the out moded concept that some of us older citizens regard as "Customer Service."
A Message to McDonalds Corporation
regarding
Pull Tabs from Drink Cans
to
Raise Funds for the Ronald McDonald Houses


On Wednesday, August 20th I sent this message after two McDonalds Fast Food Stores here in West Bibb County Georgia informed me that they no longer take Pull Tabs from Drink Cans to support the Ronald McDonald Houses:

Today I sent Jennifer of the McDonald’s Corporation on the Corporate Website the following message regarding Pull Tabs in support of RMHC.What a shame that your stores no longer support this donation scheme. The message is quoted here:"Dear Jennifer, Today, August 20th, 2008 I visited the McDonald's Store on Zebulon Road very near I-475 in Macon, Georgia. I had a house full of pull tops to place in the donation box. To my shock the box was gone. I inquired of the staff and I was told that we no longer do that. That was shocking to hear. Here we have a McDonalds Store that is not taking the pull tabs from soft drink cans for Ronald McDonald House Charities. Later today I visited the McDonald's Store at the WalMart Super Center on Zebulon Road here in Macon, Georgia. The register person there told me to take the pull tabs to the other McDonalds Store over by I-475. I replied that I have already visited that Store and the employees there were so busy holding hands that it took some time before anyone asked me what I wanted, only to be told that they did not any longer take the pull tabs. So the concern today is, who takes the Pull Tabs to support the RMHC?"Of course I would appreciate a reply. Thank You!!!!
The Response I received from the McDonalds Corporation
regarding my comments to them
about the Pull Tabs
Hello Alan:
Thank you for taking the time to contact McDonald's. We truly appreciate customer feedback and welcome this opportunity to share some information with you.
Ronald McDonald's Children's Charities was formed in 1984 in memory of Ray A. Kroc. In 1995, the name was changed to Ronald McDonald House Charities (RMHC). To date, RMHC has donated more than $440 million to non-profit organizations. RMHC "lifts children to a better tomorrow" by supporting Ronald McDonald Houses in communities around the world, and by making grants to other not-for-profit children's programs. Grants are awarded in three main areas: Healthcare and medical research; Education and the arts; and Civic and social services. Non-profit organizations selected for grants must demonstrate an ability to respond to real problems in a definitive, "hands-on" manner and show measurable impact.For more detailed information about RMHC grants and funding, please refer to the Community Section of our website at www.mcdonalds.com, or the RMHC website at www.rmhc.org.
Again, thank you for contacting McDonald's. We look forward to serving you for many years to come.

Sarah
McDonald's Customer Response Center
As you can quickly ascertain from Sarah's response I am left to wonder if anyone at this Response Center can read. Sarah certainly missed the point of my message which discussed where I should deliver "Pull Tabs from Drink Cans" to help raise funds for the Ronald McDonald Houses.
Or, should all of us older citizens simply give up on expecting "Customer Service" from any major, multi-national corporation.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

Did you check with the Ronald McDonald House in downtown Macon to see if they collect them? Maybe they can give you a better answer than McDonald's corporate. It would be a shame to waste your charitable efforts!

Alan said...

Not yet. I will be traveling to the City of Macon today for business so it is possible to check there in person.

It still remains a shame that the local stores do not take the pull tabs. Not every collector of the pull tops has a Ronald McDonald House in the immediate area.