Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Taxes, Taxes, Taxes


Page 4A of "The Telegraph" of Macon, Georgia announced a Hearing today. The Headline for the article read "Bibb holding public hearings on school tax increase today."
The article went on to clearly state that the Bibb County school system will hold two hearings today about its proposed tax increase. Because I am a product of Public Education and most of the citizens in the United States of America are, I am always ready to voice my concerns regarding education.
I attended the 10:00 A. M. hearing and delivered the following testimony:
"I respectfully submit that you should raise the 2008-2009 Bibb County School Millage rate to the ceiling of 20 mills."
This .21 mill increase would generage an additional $720,000.00 or a possible $29.00 for each student in the Bibb System."
"With so many unknown, unpredictable cost such as APY transfers to name just one item for the coming year I think it would be prudent to plan ahead and set the millage rate at 20 mills."
"A mere $29.00 of additional funds for each student is a small price to pay if it allows our system, yours and mine, to do a better job of educating our future citizens. I would also add that proper prior planning should be our mantra as we all look to the future. Thank You!!!!"
There were two citizens from Bibb County at this hearing. The other spoke against the Millage increase. He also thanked Board Member, Mr. Gary Bechtel for voting against the recommended Bibb County School Budget propsed for Fiscal Year 2009. I may be incorrect but it is my understanding that Mr. Bechtel voted against the recommended Bibb County School Budget because of "Chain of Command Concerns" within the administration and relations/contact between System Employees and members of the School Board.
From my point of view we simply can not afford to short change our citizens of tomorrow. Everyone knows that fuel and food will cost more in the future so it would appear to me that the prudent thing to do is the difficult thing to do. Additionally I might add that the projected school budget for Fiscal Year 2009 was going to draw down the cash reserves of the system almost $7,000,000.00 (that is Seven Million Dollars). I am not an accountant but I would certainly think that such a drawdown in the face of known increases in operating expenses in the future will position the Bibb System in a precarious position for Fiscal Year 2010.
It will be interesting to ascertain the comments of my fellow citizens here in Bibb County as they also participate in the Budget Hearing that is scheduled for 6:00 P.M. this evening as well as the required third hearing next Tuesday, August 26, 2008 at 5:00 P.M. I will be looking forward to reading the future editions of "The Telegraph" to acquire this knowledge.

No comments: