Sunday, November 08, 2009

Zion Lutheran Church Cemetery
Georgia Highway 26
Southwest of Oglethorpe, Georgia


Today I traveled to Ellaville, Georgia in Schley County to attend a Veteran's Day Ceremony and also the ground breaking for a Blue Star Memorial Marker in the City Square. On our way as we traveled Georgia Highway 26 we noted the Zion Lutheran Church Marker. After the events in Ellaville were complete we reversed our trip and I took the opportunity to visit this historic cemetery.
After I read the larger marker along the highway I entered the Cemetery and I viewed this marker. This was the site of a Lutheran Church that was established in 1838.

As I walked around this Cemetery I found this restored grave site. The name immediately caught my eye and I had to take a picture.


This is an historic grave site with a steel fence around the marker. I noted that Sarah Jane Ellis was born Jun 14, 1839 and died on Dec 14, 1888. I suspect that her parents may have been Charter Members of Zion Lutheran Church when it was established in 1838.


As I was walking back to the highway I decided to take this image of the whole Cemetery. I just had to post this Blog Entry today. As a Lutheran who is also a transplanted Yankee to Georgia some years ago I am often told that this part of the Country is committed to other denominations. Based on this information I will now be able to state that the Lutherans also have a fairly long history in Georgia.
Just a reminder, by clicking on any image in my Blog Post you will be able to see a much larger photograph.
Thank You!!!





No comments: