Saturday, April 21, 2012



Gibbs Gardens
Ball Ground, Georgia

Pine Ridge Garden Club Field Trip


This past Thursday eighteen members and friends of Pine Ridge Garden Club of Macon, Georgia traveled to Ball Ground, Georgia to visit the newly opened Gibbs Gardens.  This private garden open to the public since 1 March 2012 consist of 300 acres and has been a 35 year garden project of Mr. Gibbs.

Last Thursday morning he was greeting everyone and telling us a bit about the garden.  He informed us that he planned the paths and the bench placement so that his 93 year old Mother could also enjoy the gardens.  With that introduction we all realized that it would be a fun day.  It was an overcast and cool day, just the right weather for enjoying the entire garden.

I took the opportunity to capture many images.  This one was taken from the center of the Japanese Garden.  It is a panoramic image of six individual shots stitched together.  To see this picture in a larger format please clink on the picture.  I did not carry a Tripod so I consider myself most fortunate that I was able to get six shots that I could put together to make this image.

I enjoyed the day, rested often by using the many benches and contemplating my next picture.  One the homeward journey after completing 5 1/2 hours at the gardens we all enjoyed a very nice meal at the O.K. Cafe, which is alongside I-75 on the North Side of Atlanta at exit 255.

A lovely day that allowed me to view the beauty of a great garden.  Mr. Gibbs informed us that there are now over 20 million daffodils in the garden of many, many varieties so some are in bloom during the entire month of March each Spring.  

Everyone in our group was very happy and glad that they took this Field Trip.  Yes it did involve a lot of walking; however the beauty allowed us all to forget about the potential of tired legs. 



No comments: