Monday, December 17, 2012

Iowa Honors and Remembers
her
Civil War Heroes

This past weekend I attended the Wreaths Across America Ceremony at Andersonville National Cemetery near Americus, Georgia.

When I visit this Cemetery I always take the time to visit the Iowa Monument.  Each of the Northern States who sent Heroes to defend the Union during the Civil War has erected Monuments to their fallen citizens.  In talking to the Staff at Andersonville I learned that they perform preventive maintenance on each of these Monuments whenever needed to keep them looking as they were just erected.





This is a picture of this Blog's Author.  I was born and raised in Iowa and I joined the U. S. Navy and I now reside in Middle Georgia.  Here you see me observing the seal on this Monument.  The Seal includes the Iowa Motto:  "Our Liberties We Prize, Our Rights We Will Maintain."  Iowa was admitted to the Union in 1846 and sent more Heroes to defend the principles of the Union on a per-capita basis than any other State.

No comments: