Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Honoring Our Heroes

During a recent road trip in southern Indiana I was scrolling the radio dial to find some driving music. I hit on a station playing patroitic music. They were honoring 83 members of the 135th Army Engineering Company that was arriving in Illinois after a seventeen month deployment in Iraq. The radio announcer was accompanying the caravan of buses and cars as they traveled through several towns enroute to their home base after having landed in Evansville, Indiana just moments earlier, We listened until we were out of range. What impressed me was that they were enroute to a town of 5000 citizens and many, many citizens of southern Illinois turned out to welcome them. Then I started thinking about Middle Georgia and the recent return of our 48th Brigade. Well over 4000 heroes and we put up hundreds of yellow ribbons and a local TV station did a 30 minute program honoring these heroes. Additionally, I am aware that several small towns in Middle Georgia had grand home coming events. Other than a few corporate sponsors in Macon I am not aware of any special events to honor these Heroes. I would have thought that the Veterans Organizations would have been "front and center" in Honoring these Heroes of the 48th. As but one member of the Middle Georgia population I am ashamed of what we did, especially after hearing the live broadcast in Indiana as they honored 83 Heroes. Something to think about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: