Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Truth in Advertising

Today we are going to focus on what we see and hear as various organizations, commercial and governmental, attempt to influence our purchasing decisions. In addition to how we spend our money, some even attempt to influence our voting. Since this is an election year we have been bombarded with a plethora of print and electronic advertising as various candidates tried to influence our voting. With the primary election cycle behind us, we have enjoyed a new found freedom from phone calls, letters from the candidates spouses, print ads and electronic ads.

However, the November General Elections are fast approaching and soon we will once again be subjected to the no holds barred style of campaigning. Neat ads telling us what so and so is doing wrong. Neat ads with glossy pictures of family and poses of the candidate reflecting what the candidates call "Family Values," etc. All in an attempt to obtain our serious consideration and finally on election day, our sacred vote.

Here in Georgia the all time Candidate Gathering Event features Pork Bar-B-Que. For a suggested donation of a pre-determined amount you and your significant other get to enjoy some Pork and an opportunity to hear the Candidate Speak. I find it very interesting on what the suggested donation amount should be. Just recently I read of a Bar-B-Que where the suggested amount was three significant figures. Not bad, but the Candidate in question was running for a seat in the Georgia General Assembly and wanted broad voter support. Not bad, but when I considered the amount I simply refused the opportunity to participate for all the correct reasons. I did not need to support a plethora of ads on my television, my mail box full of glossy candidate photos or appeals via the telephone when I am participating in the Sacred Dinner hour in the privacy of my own home.

Let someone else finance this foolishness. I sincerely believe that for most local elections and even state elections that there should be more voter forums where the candidates must respond to questions from the attendees. I find it most enlightening when a candidate must reply to questions from the public in a public venue without the assistance of slick consultants that tell the candidate how to print up a glossy promotional item for mailing or for that matter how to set up a television commercial. It is true that all of these promotional devices can work, but there is a limit. Again, I say, it is most refreshing and also educational to view and see a candidate responding in a public forum versus having a network of consultants informing the candidate how to run a compaign from some back room.

At this point of this Blog you may be asking why I selected the rear end of a tractor trailer as the lead image for this rant? The answer is simple. I believe in truthful advertising. Just this last Saturday at 8:02 A.M. I was traveling South on our local Interstate Highway and an eighteen wheeler passed me. It does not matter which trucking company, but boldly proclaimed on the right rear door of the trailer was this message:

Call 1 (800) 555-1212

Our Drivers are Home on Weekends

I contemplated this advertisement very briefly and became seriously worried as I removed my foot from the gas pedal to slow up. I wondered who was driving the truck.

Promotions are nice, but they do need to have some element of truth. I guess it depends on just what day of the week you see the advertisement.


No comments: