Friday, June 15, 2007

Flower Child (Evel) in April 1977

Hello, Going through the shoe box of pictures has really helped Me, The Flower Child to evoke great memories of my sordid past. The image above was most likely taken during the last days of April 1977 on Debby Ann Place in San Diego, California. I had heard of Robert Craig "Evel" Knievel Jr., and I decided that if he who was a mere two years older than I could be a dare-devil, I could at least ride a Honda to work. I was stationed on the USS John Paul Jones (DDG-32) homeported in San Diego at the time and I figured I could save time and fuel if I rode a Bike to Work. Plus parking on the very congested Navy Base would no longer be a problem. Thus I purchased a Honda 350 and was actually learning how to ride and to also pass the test so that I could obtain a Navy Base Sticker. Well, during one of the first days of May I was riding around the block and attempting to execute the manuevers required to pass the test when I lost control and jumped a seven inch curb, throwing myself off and landing on my left elbow. I was not smart enough to tuck my elbow/arm near my side so I suffered a massive injury to my left elbow. I was wearing a helmet and the residents of the home nearby called my Wife after I told them the number and she rushed to the scene and transported me to the U. S. Navy Hospital in San Diego. After 30 days in the Motorcyle Ward in traction I was released to limited duty and much time spent in the whirlpool baths to regain even limited range of motion. I spend six months on limited duty, lost my ship and was reassigned to the USS Hull (DD-945) in December 1977.

No comments: