Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Flower Child's Sailor Days
During my Navy Career I served on four ships. Several years ago I was able to participate in the Reunions of each of these Great Ships. Of course, when you attend a reunion you simply must procure a hat. Today we will show the hats that Navy Veterans collect to remind themselves of the glorious days when they were younger and sailed the Seven Seas.

USS Ranger (CVA-61)
This Attack Aircraft Carrier was homeported in Alameda, California when I was aboard. I worked in the Operations Department Office. Interesting duty and of course we knew what was going on. My duty in Ranger was from April 1962 through July 1965. I had the pleasure to be onboard during one Western Pacific Cruise.

USS Sellers (DDG-11)

This Guided Missile Destroyer was homeported in Charleston, South Carolina. During my time in Sellers (DDG-11) we deployed once to the Mediterrean Sea. While stationed in Sellers I was the Leading Yeoman and the Ship's Secretary. You can observe the Motto of Sellers - "Guardian of Freedom." The Sellers was known for excellence in Anti-Submarine Warfare. I served in Sellers from November 1969 through October 1971

USS John Paul Jones (DDG-32)

The USS John Paul Jones was Commissioned as Destroyer 932. In later years she was converted to a Guided Missile Destroyer and the number was changed to (DDG-32). The famous name of JPJ as we affectionately knew her was named after what most consider the Father of the United States Navy. I was the Leading Yeoman and Ship's Secretary on board John Paul Jones and I enjoyed being a Chief on this Man-of-War. My tour of duty from December 1975 through December 1977 saw the ship homeported in Long Beach, California for an overhaul and then transferred to San Diego, California once the John Paul Jones passed the Sea Trials.


USS Hull (DD-945)

My final Sea Tour in the Navy was in the USS Hull (DD-945), the last all Gun Destroyer to serve the United States of America. We were famous for the Eight (8) inch gun we carried forward. This was an experiment by the U. S. Navy. It was determined that a Destroyer Hull could not handle the shock effects of an 8 inch gun. Every Sailor assigned to Hull was proud to serve on this great ship. My time in Hull, which was homeported in San Diego, California was from December 1977 through 1978. I was onboard for one Western Pacific Deployment.

To clarify what my duties were while I was in the U. S. Navy I will quote what the Duties of a Yeoman are as recorded in "The Bluejacket's Manual" 19th Edition:

"Yeoman (YN) - Peform clerical, administrative and secreterial duties, including stenography, filing and typing, keep records, prepare reports, handle correspondence; serve as office managers; serve as reporters for courts-martial. "


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Flower Child,

I just came across your Blogsite while searching for a copy of the NAVY "Bluejacket's Manual 19th Edition" and clicked on your link. My Boyfriend is a retired MCPO and he's just now shared with me the following Navy related website: http://navy.togetherweserved.com
For current and former serving Members of the United States Navy, TogetherWeServed is a unique, feature-rich resource enabling Naval personnel to re-connect with lost Shipmates, share memories and tell their Navy story.

With all your past experience and vast knowledge of the Navy life.... I think you would really enjoy the website. My Father was in the Navy during WWII so you see why I love and respect all you Salty Sailors Past Present and Future!

Best regards to you!
Sincerely,
Lyn
A Sailor's Daughter
and a MCOP's Girlfriend