Friday, August 03, 2007

"Thinking Like A Thief"
As law abiding citizens we all usually feel that everyone shares our values, so we often place ourselves and/or our property in harms way. Additionally I have recently learned that the citizens of Georgia experience a high number of identification thefts. I am grateful that I have never been the victim of any crime or identify theft but I also acknowledge that I may someday be a victim. At this time I consider myself fortunate.
As I mature I have learned to carefully observe my fellow planet mates. I am often alarmed by what I observe:
  • Females placing their hand bags near the entrance of public buildings and they doing their task or errands in other sites in these buildings. A thief can quickly enter and be gone in a very brief period of time.
  • Homeowners who store ladders on the carport or the exterior walls of the house. This allows would be thieves the option of entering by second story windows to gather your stuff. Please note that second story windows are not usually wired by the alarm companies.
  • Letting newspapers pile up on your driveway or paper box while you are out of town. Anybody can quickly ascertain your absence and quickly break into your home much faster than the local law enforcement personnal can get to your home.
  • Anyone who allows the viewing of your gardening equipment to be "inventoried" while you are performing gardening task. Who knows how many weed eaters are acquired from your carport or garage when you are later away from the house, or even engaged in gardening activities in the back yard.
  • Leaving garage doors open so casual "inventory takers" can quickly inventory your stuff for a later visit when you are not home.
  • Leaving a garage door open a bit so the family pets can gain access while you are gone so that they can enter to keep dry in case of rain. A neighbor lost a nice TV when the thief learned of this system. A quick pry with a 2" by 4" popped the door open and the thief gained entry into the home and was gone with the TV within ten minutes.

Throughout my adult life I have attended many Neighborhood Watch Meetings or other types of Crime Prevention events to learn how to keep my family and myself safe. A few of the lessons I have learned at these events and by also observing human behavior are:

  • Always mail your bills, if you still us the mail for this, at the Post Office or the large secure drop boxes that are provided by the U. S. Postal Service.
  • Always respect your fellow planet mates, but be aware that some are supporting their life styles by getting your stuff.
  • Always remember to be alert and aware of your surroundings.
  • Think Like A Thief and do not allow your self to be a victim in so far as this is possible for you.

While we all want to feel safe at all times in our own life style it is imperative that we also acknowledge that there are a few who want your stuff.

Unfortunately those who ply the vocation of stealing engage their mental processes at a very high level of proficiency. They study their potential targets (victims) to get what they want and/or need.

In Summary:

  • Engage your brain to "Think Like A Thief." What things do you do, but should not do, to make yourself an attractive victim or a potential victim.
  • Take every opportunity to learn more about criminal activity in your area. Participate in Crime Prevention Activities such as Neighborhood Watch.
  • Admit that you can be a victim and think about what you can and should do should someone attempt to harm you or take your stuff.
  • Always remember that your stuff can be replaced.
  • As I learned as a young Sailor in the United States Navy: Always use the Buddy System when you go out. Not always easy, but a real nice option because as any thief will tell you, "There is strength in Numbers."

By taking a little time to think before an attack, a hold-up or exposing your identification you and I can protect ourselves more effectively. "Think Like A Thief."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Flowerchild,

You are scaring me! I am very guilty of leaving my garage door open, while working outside. I guess i'm lucky to have good neighbors, like you, to remind me of what could happen. Thanks and thanks for keeping an eye on the neighborhood.

JC