Friday, March 21, 2008

Why? Why? Why?
Throughout the lives of Children they are always asking their Parents, Why? Parents are often tired of this question. I know that as a Parent just a few years ago that I was often tired of trying to answer this question. Yet, if I was able to recall my own youth with any clarity, I am confident that I also asked my Parents the "Why" question quite often.
Which brings us to the real discussion in this Blog today. Why do Christians observe the period of "Lent" prior to Easter? Why is "Holy Week" so special. I will answer these questions from my own viewpoint as a Christian. I am not a born again Christian, because I was born into a Christian home and I never knew any better in my youth. As I reflect back, I am very thankful for this event in my own personal life.
I belong to a Church that observes Lent and Holy Week with great respect. I believe that I personally observe Lent and Holy Week; because it allows me to focus on the Great Gift that my Awesome God has given to me. I truly believe that God Send His Only Son, Jesus Christ to this Earth to Save Me and All Other Sinners. That stated, Lent and Holy Week are brief periods of time each year which allow me to reflect on this Great Gift from God. He loved me and all others so much that His Son Died for my Sins. Jesus Christ took my place. Of course this would all be very shallow if He had only Died for my Sins. The most important factor happens with the observance of Easter at the end of Holy Week. Without the Resurection of Jesus Christ after he claimed Victory over Satan, my Great Gift of Eternal Life With God in Heaven would be fiction. Because He rose again, after his death, my Salvation is sure. Of course, I must believe in God and also remember his great love for me. That to me is what Lent and Holy Week is all about. I have the opportunity to remember the Great Gift I have been given. This is what makes the celebration of Easter so great. After All, all believers have been commanded by Jesus Christ to "Remember!"

No comments: