Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Eating Out - Eating In
Many are now commenting on how the current economic crisis has impacted their lifestyle. I have read how Wait Staff at local eatries have experienced a decrease in "Tip" revenue and also heard and seen in the Electronic Media that people are spending less to dine out.
Just last week the Flower Child celebrated 36 years of marriage to the same woman. Instead of dining out we consumed a lovely meal here at our West Bibb County, Georgia Home. I even did the cooking/grilling.
As returned from our "looking back" trip around Middle Georgia to view our former Macon Homes I stopped at the new "Fresh Market" market on Forsyth Road to acquire the necessary items for a special meal. They had a special on "Grass Fed Beef" with a price of $7.99 per pound on Rib Eye Steaks. I purchased 1.88 pounds of these fine looking Steaks. As I departed the meat market area I viewed some great looking Baking Potatoes which enticed me to pick up two. Then it was on to the Mushroom Section. Even though my Bride does not enjoy Mushrooms I obtained some for my own Rib Eye Steak. The total cost for these items was $20.73. Admittedly, certain items to prepare a lovely meal were acquired from the Larder here at our home.
Upon arrival at our home I prepared the steaks and commenced the Baking of the Potatoes as well as making the Mushroom sauce for my Steak in accordance with sound cooking practices that I glean from a plethora of "Cook Books" that we own.
We both enjoyed a lovely Dinner on the Deck as the Sun was slowly setting in the West. After ward we both agreed that such a Dinner would have most likely cost about $60.00 at any local fine dining establishment. I post this to let you my dear readers know that it is possible to enjoy life, even though times seem difficult. Sure, we have to be creative; but the pleasure of this fine meal was an appropriate manner in which to enjoy and also celebrate our 36 years of wedded bliss!!!
As I close this Blog I recall that the rehearsal dinner for our small wedding way back in 1972 for six people, which included Matus Vino cost a total of $33.00. The $33.00 included the tip for the Wait Staff. Times have changed, that is a certain fact.

No comments: