Saturday, November 15, 2008

Man Night
My November 12th Post titled "Enough is Enough" spoke of the Friday Night, November 14th event at The Cox Capitol Theatre in downtown Macon, Georgia. I attended this Man Night, which was a fun filled evening.
The Scotch Seminar was most educational for me. When ever I have consumed Scotch in the past it was always on the Rocks. I have never been much of a Scotch consumer, but the Seminar taught me the fine art of enjoying this great adult beverage.
When we arrived, all six of us, we were seated at a long table. The Seminar was conducted by Mr. Vernon Ryle, a citizen of Macon, who I knew from many years ago when our respective Sons participated in Boy Scouting.
Each of us had four Wiskey Tulip glasses with a dram of the following:
  1. Aberfeldy
  2. Caol Ila
  3. Talisker
  4. Johnny Walker Red

Behind these selections was a teaspoon and a glass filled with water.

I learned the following information about enjoying Scotch:

  • Whisky means "Water of Life"
  • Water wakes up the flavor
  • There are five areas in Scotland which produce Whisky
  • Age may not be as important as I had heard. All Whisky is bottled when ripe.
  • There is a definite protocol employed to enjoy/savor Whisky

As we tasted the selections I learned that the Aberfeldy is very pleasant and is generally considered as an appropriate Scotch for someone just starting to enjoy great Scotch.

Caol Ila is enjoyed with a good cigar. Most cigar smokers enjoy Caol Ila as they smoke cigars.

Talisker is considered by many as an appropriate before "Dinner Drink."

The Johnny Walker Red is a blend and is the most popular Scotch based on sales volume. It is a blend of 40 types of Whisky.

I learned that the distilling of Whisky is a science. Blending is an art.

The Scotch Seminar presenter also informed us that the best Whisky is the one that the consumer enjoys the most.

After the Scotch Seminar we viewed the 1995 Movie "Braveheart," staring Mel Gibson. As I enjoyed this great epic movie which featured the struggle, more appropriately called a War; between Scotland and England many years ago. Two quotes from the movie struck me as being very germane today:

"What Will You Do Without Your Freedom?"

and

"Men Follow Courage."

These two phrases were used to motivate the Warriors. Certainly a great "Man Night!"

No comments: