Friday, July 22, 2011



Neal Smith National Wildlife Refuge
Prarie Learning center

Altoona, Iowa

 During a recent visit to Iowa My Bride and I had the opportunity to visit this fine facility.  The Learning center was not open, but we enjoyed the opportunity to ride through the Wildlife Refuge.


 We did not have the opportunity to view the Deer, Elk or Bison up close, but just seeing them in a natural setting was impressive.  I saw one herd of Bison which consisted of over 39 animals.  They were very distant so I was not able to get a photograph of them. 

We were in the company of a tour guide who explained to us that at times it is possible to view the Bison up close. 

I just had to include this picture of a milkweed plant.  I have fond memories of harvesting the silk pods of the mature flowers in the Fall.  When I was five years old it was the custom to collect the pods from the milkweek plant for the silk to be given to the War Effort.  The silk was used to make life jackets for our Heroes.

1 comment:

Norma said...

I checked and the Neal Smith center is not in Altoona.
http://www.fws.gov/midwest/nealsmith/

just an fyi