Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Xenophobe
or
Hyperbole
As most of you faithful readers of "The World This Week" blog published by the Flower Child know, I usually read "The Telegraph" each morning as I enjoy my breakfast here in West Bibb County, Georgia.
The September 10th issue Viewpoints Page carried an interesting point of view entitled "Self-serving Xenophobes" which was written by Lindsay D. Holliday of Macon. In his viewpoint article he confessed that he watched the recent Democrat and Republican national conventions. This was great news. A great many Americans did so. However he also decried the television coverage from the standpoint that the Democrat Convention coverage clearly displayed "every television frame contained a colorful rainbow of diverse faces and clothing."
He also pointed out that the coverage of the Republican Convention coverage had an almost 100 percent of white face attendes, "(just like me)."
He concluded his Viewpoint submission with the fact that our great United States of America cannot afford four more years like the past eight years.
As I read the Viewpoint Submission I was shocked to learn that he considered Republicans as self serving xenophobes. As I understand the word "xenophobe" it means that "one unduly fearful of what is foreign and expecially of people of foreign origin" which is also from the Merriam-Webster's On Line Dictionary. It is also a word that has been around sine 1922.
As you have read the title of this Blog you will note that I also included the word "Hyperbole" which is also a word that has this meaning according to the Merriam-Webster's On Line Dictionary: "extravagant exxaggeration." I also noted that this word has been around since the 15th century.
I give you the genesis of each of the two words that comprise the title of this blog so that you may also appreciate the balance of this entry.
I have been on this planet a few years longer than Mr. Holliday and have fond recollections of even listening to the National Presidential Conventions on the radio a good number of years before Television was available to the masses in this great United States of America. I have also enjoyed viewing the National Presidential Conventions on Television. What I have observed during all of this listening and viewing activity is that a good amount of the activities at any National Presidential Convention could be called "Hyperbole" or to refresh everyone's mind, extravagant exaggeration. I know that a lot of Convention Statements and also Campaign Rheoric is stated and also published to simply win the election. This is a fact of political life at all levels. Once in office most candidates are actually confronted with the dynamics of the real world and have to confine their activities to governing in the "Real World." After all we all know that real leadership is best displayed from the viewpoint that campaign winners are actually "Caretakers" performing the will of the people for the benefit of all the citizens they govern/lead.
I also consider it vital that I share a few facts with you, my dear readers. Who are the xenophobe citizens in our United States of America?
  • I recall that it was a Republican President that announced the Emancipation Proclamation on September 22 and put into effect on January 1, 1863.
  • I also recall that it was our Republican President named Abraham Lincoln who worked dilligently to secure the 13th Ammendment to our Constitution to permanently abolish slavery throughout the Nation.
  • I know that our current Secretary of State under a Republican President is a woman of color. In my view she has performed very well.
  • I know that a former Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff, United States Defense Department was a man of color. General Colin Powell was a U. S. Army Officer who served and was promoted with the authority of Presidents of both Political Parties.

Of course the list of facts could go on, but I certainly feel that it is an insult to simply state in a published "View Point" that Republicans are xenophobes.

In my own personal life I have fond memories of attending a "Rally" or "Sing-A-Long" in Macon's Washington Park on an Easter Sunday in either 1985 or 1986 when the purpose of the event was to make a recording of the song "We Are the World" written by Michael Jackson. The song was written to assist in raising funds to help famine-relief efforts in Ethopia, which experienced unusual drought in 1984/1985.

The "Flower Child" and his family attended this "Rally" or "Sing-A-Long". It was a well attended event. As you can ascertain from my profile image on the sidebar of this Blog the "Flower Child" is of the White race. I do not recall any other members of the White race being in attendance at this event. I think I would remember because the other attendees were all people of color. Hundreds of Men, Women and many Children were there.

So I would conclude, is a U. S. President of the Republican Party who freed slaves or for that matter the Flower Child considered among the ranks of the xenophobes. You decide for yourself. I trust that you will!!!!!

So When You Vote this November, ask yourself, will you rely on Hyperbole. Or will you be a Xenophobe misled by the "Viewpoint" message of Mr. Holliday.

No comments: