Friday, May 07, 2010

Why?????
Last evening as I observed the evening news I learned that the citizens of Greece were not happy with their government. They were rioting in the streets.
I also learned that:
  • There are eleven million people in Greece
  • Four Million residents of Greece are employed
  • One Million of these four million work for the Government

Certainly interesting demographics. Most of you know that the Title of this Blog is: "The World This Week." However I have not addressed any "World Situations" in my recent post. Today I am compelled to address the situation in Greece and what we here in the United States of America may soon become.

At this time our own Government is seeking to manage most aspects of our lives. Who builds our Automobiles, who pays for our Health Care, etc. It appears that our Government is seeking to emulate the policies that are causing the problems in Greece.

Just the other day I learned that one of our esteemed U. S. Lawmkers recently stated that the goal is to have everyone who resides in the United States of America to have the same stuff in their homes as everyone else has. While this concept may appear "fair" I also recall that this is one of the basic tenents of the true communist society.

It certainly eradicates the incentive to work hard to obtain the individual goals that most of us now appreciate. This may be a nice concept but in the end, why should I labor any harder than any other citizen if my government is going to level the playing field, so to speak. Taken a step further, why should any student study harder to become a Doctor, a Lawyer, or even an Indian Chief if the Government's goal is to have everyone enjoy the same standard of living. Where is the incentive to work hard, or even study hard to achieve excellence?

These questions certainly need to be studied before we become another "Greek Society."

I appreciate what our Nation has achieved. I appreciate what our Nations's Heroes have achieved. We all know that many have given their very lives so that we can enjoy our mantra:

America, The Land Of The Free, The Home Of The Brave!!!

Or are we at that point where we desire to emulate the Countries that were great in the History of the World? I would hope not!!! I also hope that my past education was not in vein.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Flower Child:

All good points. I've never understood why liberals who live in the greatest economy and country seek to emulate those nations who are behind us in productivity and economic output. Equivalent to UGA Football trying to be more like Vanderbilt Football.

Anonymous said...

It didn't work real well in Greece, who knows ,maybe Obama's charisma can make it work here. Along with his Chicagoland thugs, I think there is an excellent chance that Obienomics
may enjoy a bright future across the breadth of this once great nation. Stay tuned to the 2010 midterms. I'm not holding my breath?? The hands are being held out for the benefits promised by our fearless former community organizer. Seldom has a nation been blessed with such a all-knowing genius and a product of Harvard and spawned and perhaps even born on the African continent. If nothing else fact is indeed much stranger than fiction!!! What would Mohammad think?? Good-day, should we all be buying knee-pads??