Monday, April 15, 2013

Talk
Talk
Talk
Talk
Talk
A recent news article in "The Telegraph" here in Macon, Georgia discussed the fact that the Bibb County School Board needs to talk more about the current financial situation.  While that appears to be a fine thing to do, I would suggest that each of the members of the school board put their personal agendas aside and seriously consider what is needed to educate the children.

I have always subscribed to the mantra that "Talk is Cheap."  Actions speak louder than words and at this time, the time for talk is far past.  Our duly elected school board representatives must take action.

I am aware that actions of any type will have an impact on some special interest group.  I am also aware that actions must be accomplished.  The recent history of our Bibb School Board indicates to me that they have not developed the skills to manage a budget and that they place entirely too much trust in the "hired hands" of the Bibb System.

It is no secret that the tax digest is shrinking, the sales tax revenue is decreasing and that far too many homes in Bibb County are upside down.  The School Board has a lot of challenges and must implement serious cost cutting measures now because it will not get any easier if they continue to kick the can down the road.

I also know that we are reaping the results of who we have elected in the past.  In that regard, I am sure that these elected members of the school board are also aware that some of them may desire to seek relection.  I recently read a review that indicated that several of our school board members are traveling to hopefully learn how to improve their effectiveness.  Sounds great, but I am confident that there are many cost effective means of learning how to be effective without traveling.  Or, do these school board members need to see things first hand without having to read a report?  If that is the case, they are failing us and simply serve to enjoy the  benefits of their elected position.  What a shame!!!

Of course it would not be fair to simply pick on our duly elected school board here in Bibb County.  Almost every day I read of, or even hear of organizations that perform a lot of talking without the benefit of measureable results.

Maybe that is what our Society is becoming on a more frequent basis.  In summary, I will always be most impressed with actions versus simply talking about a problem.  I suspect that a good number of my taxpaying peers also feel as I do.

Your comments, please!!!!!

No comments: