Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Have a Blessed Christmas 2008

It is snowing in the Pacific Northwest. It is raining and sleeting in New England. The Midwest of the United States of America is suffering from blizzards and we are all viewing this on the Electronic Media. Everyone is trying to get home for Christmas and thousands of flights are being cancelled because of the weather.

The economy around the World is suffering and merchants are suffering because of the lack of Holiday Spending. All of this and consider all the problems that each of may be experiencing it is probably difficult to event mutter the words "Merry Christmas" this year. I just heard that our unemployed workers has reached the same level as in the early 1980s.

Yes, I lived through the 1980s and do not recall any problem in obtaining work. I had just retired from the U. S. Navy and was happily employed at a local Nursing Home here in Middle Georgia. While I was the third highest paid at $5.00 per hour I managed to survive. I did mow lawns and do other yard work on the side so that my family could have those things necessary to sustain life.

Well, I have news for everyone here, Merry Christmas 2008. We have much to be thankful for and much to appreciate if we focus on the good that surrounds us. Times may be difficult, but let me remind you that most citizens on planet earth have a more difficult time than we here in the U. S. A. Additionally, I can quickly recall the events of the "Great Depression of the 1930s" as relayed to me by my parents.

My Dad's favorite story was about shredding corn in the fall. He worked for 50 cents a day and the meals that were served to the workers as they traveled from farm to farm on Clayton Ridge in Clayton County in Northeast Iowa. Not a bad deal, 50 cents a day and plenty of food, until you realized that he concluded the saga with this phrase, "I wore out a $1.00 pair of leather gloves each day."

So we think we have it difficult!!!!!!!!

Merry Christmas

As we all gather with family and friends this Christmas let us all remember that "The Best Is Yet To Come." I am looking forward to the Christmas Eve Worship Service at the Church and the singing of the song "Silent Night, Holy Night."

I say again: "Merry Christmas." Have a "Blessed Christmas."

No comments: