Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Survival Kit

Every time there is potential for bad weather such as terrible storms or even flooding possibilities we are all informed that we should check out our Survival Kits. We are also are reminded to have adequate fresh batteries for our portable radios so we can listen to the latest information available on the Radio.
Who here among us can recall every hearing weather or storm information on the Radio? Yes, the local electronic media did an excellent on the recent "Mother's Day Tornado" here in Middle Georgia; but most of the time you will simply be tuning into a radio station with 24 hour music or 24 hour talk replayed from the previous week if and when a storm strikes us during a week-end.
With the recent forecast of wicked weather in the Upper Mid-West and the remote potential that it could travel to the Southeast United States, I the Flower Child updated my Survival Kit this very morning.
If and when the power is out I can pick up my Flashlight with the new batteries, find my stash of Cashews and wash them down with my Merlot. After executing this procedure I will most likely not care how long the power is out.
This post also allows me to recall one Winter in the Far North United States. We did have electricity, but the power was out. The roads were also closed because of the six to eight foot snow drifts. The wood stove was providing heat and we had a cellar full of food. My Dad, who was than a smoker ran out of "Prince Albert" in the can. In order to maintain his habit he resorted so rolling his cigarette using tea leaves. You can not appreciate the aroma of tea leaf smoke until you experience it. It was not very pleasant.
In closing this Blog Post I would remind everyone to inventory their personal Survival Kit and replenish it with what is appropriate for your individual and/or family situation.
Now, if the snow does not extend to Middle Georgia I can always utilize this Kit prior to the expiration of the product Shelf Life. Have a great day.

No comments: