Thursday, May 21, 2009

National Health Care
or
Socialized Medicine
For some time now we here in the United States of America have heard from our elected leaders how our Health Care System needs help. I remember way back in the 1990s when there was a major thrust to have some sort of National Health Care. More recently we are hearing more about health care for all because we have so many in our country who do not even have health insurance.
All of this is very noble conversation and certainly deserves a National Debate. That stated, many who do not have adequate health care insurance or availability to decent health care are simply their own victims. Way back when they made some very poor choices and now they have poor health and/or health care is not available.
This is indeed a sad situation. However, we must also realize that at the current time, we here in the United States of America have the best health care available for our citizens when we compare it with anyother country in the World. Yes, I have lived in a foreign country. The United Kingdom to be specific. I had two wonderful children born there in a U. S. Air Force Base Hospital. You may be interested in knowing that the Doctor who delivered these two wonderful children was a "Former" Doctor to the Royal Family. He could make much more money and have a much better schedule of work at the U. S. Air Force Base versus being a Royal Doctor. He told me this himself so I have no reason to suspect his statement.
Why do I share this with you today? My purpose is to clearly point out that while the concept of a National Health Care Scheme or even Socialized Medicine sounds grand in theory let me be one of the first to inform you that "Waiting Rooms" in the United Kingdom were full of patients and a good number of them held their system of health care in distain.
Now, come with me to the airport in Rochester, Minnesota. The Mayo Clinic is headquartered in Rochester. On any given day you can view aircraft from a plethora of countries. Individuals who have the necessary funds and in most cases a private airplane frequently travel to the Mayo Clinics to receive the best health care in the World. If you doubt this statement visit:
Please be aware that the Mayo Clinics see over 350,000 patients in a year. You do not have to be numbered among the rich and famous to be seen at the Mayo Clinics. As most of my readers here know, I was raised in the Midwest of our great Country. I was raised the oldest of six children in the 40s and 50s by an Iowa Farm Couple that farmed a mere 80 acres of soil that they owned. Of course as the children grew older they did rent additional farm ground for a cash grain operation. I say this to simply stated that I did not originate in a rich or powerful Midwest Farm Family. Yet, when anyone had a serious health issue the Health Care Facility of Choice was the Mayo Clinic in Rochester.
My own Mother was a patient there and received excellent health care from a caring and compassionate staff.
Yet we have a vocal group of leaders, mostly elected individuals who now think that we need a National Health Care scheme in our United States of America. Having lived in a foreign country with a National Health Care scheme I can personally testify that we do not any government health care scheme or socialized medicine. If the schemes currently in operation in foreign countries is so good why do those with the resources travel to the United States of America?
I think I made it quite clear when I cited my own Mother's Health Care in this country we are very fortunate to reside in the United States of America. Why would we even consider messing up the greatest health care in the world?
Additionally, we currently have Hospitals that are required by law to render health care to our Nations's Needy. Or do we need National Health Care or as I prefer to call it, Socialized Medicine so that the politicans can be reelected. The concept to providing everything that a citizen may need is appealing to some politicans in their quest to be reelected. However, from what I experienced while living in the United Kingdom we simply do not need this type of care in our country.
Consider the Doctor who formerly worked for the Royal Family and how he improved his lot in life by working for the U. S. Air Force. Admittedly our Military Doctors are operating in a health care scheme, but to have a whole country with an aging population seeking health care and having some "medical clerk" determing if care is warranted is beyond my comprehension of caring and compassionate care.
When I am older I desire the best care that is available, not what some "medical clerk" determines I may qualify for versus my age, and who knows what other standards will be considered.
Everyone of us is too precious to place our health care into the hands of any socialized medicine scheme.
Please be sure that the 350,000 patients who visit the Mayo Clinics each year are from our entire U. S. A. and many other countries in our World. Everyone deserves the best!!!!!

No comments: