Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Health Care for Military Families

I have always had great faith in the U. S. Governments pledge to take care of the Family Members and the Veterans of our U. S. Military.  However a recent accident suffered by My Bride where she broke both bones in her right leg has caused me to reconsider the situation.

She broke the major support bone by shattering it into ten pieces.  The small leg bone was a clean break.  The surgery to repair the breaks consisted of two plates with about fourteen or more screws or pins to hold everything in place to allow proper healing.  My Bride is covered by TRICARE.

The total bill from the Doctor who performed this surgery was $3264.00.  TRICARE has paid a total of $612.41 of this bill.  I have appealed this to the appropriate Organization.  I indicated that a recent repair kit on the rear end of my 1998 Dodge Pickup truck required that I pay a total of over $400.00.  A set of new tires for this same pickup cost well over $500.00. 

I cannot understand where it is possible for our Government to authorize only $612.41 for the complex procedure to repair My Brides Right leg.  I cannot understand the logic or reasoning for this inadequate level of funding for the restoration of a leg on a human being.  Yet every Veteran's Day we see and hear our President and other duly elected leaders inform us that they will never let our Nation's Veterans down.  The Veterans deserve nothing but the best and that our Nation will provide for their welfare.

I am beginning to think  that this is simply a ploy to gain votes from all the citizens.  It is very patriotic of the many Veteran's Day speakers to state this. 

It would be my suggestion that our Government actually display this attitude through their actions.  I publish this information today to let everyone know that it is possible to have a misplaced faith when we believe what our duly elected officials tell us as we observe Veterans Day.

Yes, I have sent copies of my appeal to the two Senators from my State as well as my newly elected Congressman.  One Senator sent me an E-Mail back with a few statements of fact and suggesting that I contact him in the future should I need assistance in any matter.  The appeal letter I sent to TRICARE requested a reconsideration.  It will be interesting to learn of the outcome of my request.  Meanwhile, the Healthcare Provider must wait.  I have been advised that many Healthcare providers are reluctant to accept TRICARE patients.  What an unfortunate situation when our Healthcare providers are placed in this situation. 

I suspect that come Veterans Day 2011 we will see and also hear the same high praise for our Nations Veterans and also the pledge that we will provide the best care for them and their dependents.  Will it remain a hollow statement?  Time will tell.

This is what Government Health Care is all about?  Is this the same Government that now boldly tells us that the Universal Health Care for all U.S. citizens recently enacted is going to be much better than what we enjoyed in our Nation's past!!!!!

So my concern today is how long will our Nation's Healthcare providers remain in business with a low level of reimbursement from Government Health Care? 

Meanwhile I hope that my recent appeal will result in a higher level of reimbursement for the Doctor that performed the surgery to repair My Bride's broken right leg bones.

To put this in proper context, my twelve year old pickup is worth a fair sum of money and it cost me well over the sum of money TRICARE approved for the surgery to repair My Bride's broken leg.  You may be thinking that I could pay the difference.  That sounds great, but I also must inform you that I have already paid for my Health Care as well as the Health Care for My Bride with twenty-one (21) years of service to our "Grateful Nation!!"

Admittedly the phrase "Grateful Nation" may be improperly used in the previous sentence.  I am certainly beginning to think so as I await the result of my appeal.

Something to think about if you or any of your family or friends are considering Service to our Nation in the U. S. Military.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for discussing this situation. Are we all going to have to face this situation with the new Healthcare provisions in our Country. I can not comprehend a country that does not take care of it's Veterans and their families.

I hate to think that soon we will all be facing this situation.

Again, Thanks for publishing this blog.