Saturday, January 01, 2011

"We Must Do Better"

In 2009 I published a total of 380 Post on this Blog "The World This Week."  During my recent campaign for Post 8 on the Bibb County Georgia School Board I published 16 Post during the period May 27, 2010 through November 3, 2010.  The theme of my Campaign was "We Can Do Better."

It is my goal to publish a post each day of 2011.  As my campaign for the Post 8 School Board concluded I participated in the Georgia Partnership for Excellence in Education "18th Bus Trip Across Georgia" during the period of October 26-28, 2010.  I  participated in this Trip because I wanted to see first hand the best schools in Georgia.  The trip showcased the best of Georgia's  public school system.  The theme for the 2010 trip was "Greater Flexibility, Greater Focus on Result."

The first of the seven schools we visited was DaVinci Academy in Hall County.  This Middle School used a former school facility and was located in a urban setting.

During the trip we all kept journals.  Today I will share my brief comments from my journal that I wrote the evening of October 26, 2010:

"Inspired Scholars modeling inspired educators.  Each Scholar develops a "Project" to complete that is their passion.  Each Scholar is responsible for their own clean up.  No janitors or food service staff.  This school is on the internet.  No expensive text books.  This school functions well using only 70 percent of the funds that a "normal" school uses.  The concept of individual responsibility is evident in the attitude of the Scholars.  Talent is sought and Nurtured.  "A Dream School."  Team work abounds.  No rows of desk here.  Enrollment of about 210 in grades 6, 7 and 8. 

A Community school in a setting that fosters pride of ownership.  The stress on Fun and Joy while learning was very evident.  An announcement about a "Lock Down" was stated once and everyone performed well.  An escaped prisoner was at large in the area.  No panic!!!

A small school preparing Scholars for the future challenges of life with the values of a one-room school of yesteryear.  A real joy to visit. The Student guides were terrific."  My only concern about the future for these Scholars was summed up with this Journal Entry: 

Will High School Be ready for these passionate Scholars?

No comments: