Tuesday, April 24, 2007

"ME"
Most of us have heard of the "ME" generation. I also think most everyone knows what this means.
Today I would like to share some of my recent observations:
  • The recent events at Virginia Tech have certainly displayed many real Heros from this tragedy. Many young students stepped forward to block doors and most likely they helped save lives!!
  • The young Men and Women who serve all freedom loving peoples of this earth by their involvement in the "War on Terrorism" more than likely have kept incidents such as 9-11 remote from the United States of America.

These are two examples of people working together on a team to resolve and/or even prevent tragic results.

Most of us know and realize that no one individual, no one person can survive on their own. I do not know anyone that can meet all of their needs and also live a useful life.

In my own life, I was one of six siblings. We all quickly learned the team work concept as we assisted our Parents on the small Family Farm. We even learned to share. I had to share one bicycle with five other siblings. Admittedly, I was a child in the dark ages before the advent of Television in Iowa, but one thing I can certainly state, "I did have the basic concepts of teamwork" ingrained in my mind at a young age.

As if I needed additional teamwork training; I enlisted to avoid the draft, in the United States Navy in August 1961. Ask any of your Family, Friends or Neighbors who have served in any branch of our Military about Teamwork training in "Boot Camp" or "Basic Training."

Just today I read a dynamic article by Jamieson Jensen on the Fresh Ink page of "The Telegraph." The article was titled: The evils of unstructured group work. This young scholar correctly pointed out one pit fall of group work. Any teacher or leader who assigns Group Work needs to include a requirement with this phrase which I quote, "You will all turn in a paragraph about what you have contributed," or "Each of you will be assigned one part of the project." Certainly great requirements to insure teamwork by all project participants.

All of this presented to validate the fact that those among us who continue to focus on "Themselves" truly prevent themselves from having a happy, useful or productive life.

We all know someone who is a member of the "ME Generation." Because of my childhood exposure to religion I am well aware of how fortunate I am. I have not had a perfect life, but I can also certainly state that I have been abundantly blessed. "ME Generation" people are so self focused that they usually are unable to function as positive team members.

As I conclude this Blog the most significant event in my life happened on March 24, 1940 when I became a "Baptized Child of God." As a member of God's team I am also an heir to eternal life in heaven.

As a member of God's Team I really do not have anything to worry about. The "Flower Child" does not have to be ME focused to have a happy and productive life.

Just last week we were made aware of four steps to live through the recent tragic events at Virginia Tech. I feel that these four steps can be applied to any difficult situation that may present itself to us in our lives. The steps are:

  • Connect with your Peers in the College Community to support each other
  • Connect and seek comfort from Loved Ones
  • Connect with a Faith Community
  • Trust in Your God

Again, You can see that in order to resolve the situation as you seek assistance in the four steps listed above, you can quickly ascertain that "Team Work" is vital, essential and also required.

I continue to be Thankful and very Grateful for all who serve for the good of all humanity. Thank You!!!!!

No comments: