Thursday, August 06, 2009

Shopping
Turkey River Mall, Elkader, Iowa

During my recent trip to the Holy Land (a.k.a.) Iowa I had the opportunity to do some shopping at the Turkey River Mall.
During my browsing I found several things of great interest so I purchased them. If you look closely to the left side of this picture you will see a cabbage cutter that I purchased for the sum of $12.00. When I was a young farm boy my Mother often used a device such as this to make kraut. It was the task of us children to mash down the cut cabbage with our hands (freshly washed of course) so the the cabbage could forment and become kraut.
The next item I purchased was the silver chest with service for twelve. The flatware is stamped "Argyle Silver Plate" and was manufactured by International Silver in 1938. I acquired the flatware and the silver chest for $29.00.
The China you see in the picture was manufactured in China and is entitled "Loon Lake." I checked this out on the World Wide Web and a service for six such as shown here would cost $167.58. If I remember correctly, the Black Loon China was acquired for a cash outlay of about $65.00. Of course there is a story surrounding the purchase of the "Black Loon" China, but you will have to communicate with my Spouse for that information.
You can be confident that during my next trip to my Homeland that I will be visiting the Turkey River Mall again.

No comments: