Friday, July 07, 2006




Remembering!!!!!!!

Today I am reflecting on life of one of my two younger Brothers. During the Vietnam Era in the history of our Country he served in the USS Turner Joy (DD-951) The Ship patch is displayed here. My Brother was a Fire Control Technician and I can recall the horror I felt as I listened to the radio in the Barracks of the Washington Navy Yard as the news announced an attack on the USS Turner Joy in the Tonkin Gulf. Of course I knew that my Brother was on this great ship and immediately I took a renewed interest in the Vietnam War.

Several weeks ago now I received a phone call that my Brother had died. This is my effort to recognize his service to our United States of America. I know that he served our Nation with Pride and as the first week of August approaches each year I am sure that he remembered that hellish night on August 4, 1964 when the Ship he was serving in along with the USS Maddox were under attack.

One of his favorite patches from his U. S. Navy Service was "The Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club" which is displayed on the top of this article.

As I remember my Brother I am approached by friends who offer their condolences. Some even indicate that they do not know what to say. Please be aware that this is my first experience involving the death of a family member or even a friend. My parents died some years ago and both were in their 80s. Their Children were ready, just as they were, for them to pass away.

I appreciate the messages via E-Mail, Telephone and in Person. The messages were usually brief and simply indicated that "I am sorry to hear of your Brother's death" or words in that manner. To each individual who expressed their care to me at this time I am extremely grateful.

For those who feel that they do not know what to say, may I offer this suggestion: "Deliver your message in a caring manner and please be aware that a brief - I am Sorry - is very adequate." I would respond - Thank You!!!!! I am not publishing this blog for additional condolences. I simply wanted to point out the value of saying "I am Sorry" to share with you my own observation when a death occurs

No comments: