Monday, August 29, 2011


Iowa Tractor Boy Report


 One of my Nephews was able to give me a guided tour of the Farm Operations that He and His Siblings operate.  This picture was taken on 2 July 2011.  I have memories of my Dad always telling us that if the Corn was knee high by the Fourth of July that there would be a good crop.  This appears to be well on the way to a bumper crop.

 In addition to growing Corn and Soybeans the Nephews are "Beef Farmers."  As you can see here and in the following pictures, these cattle know how to keep cool in the intense heat of an Iowa Summer.



 This is a picture of the Farm House that My parents constructed in 1951 or 1952.  I was eleven or twelve years old.  My Brother and I as well as our two oldest Sisters did a lot of the work, such as handling lumber and concrete blocks to assist in the construction of this three bedroom home with indoor plumbing. 

My Youngest Sibling now resides in this House and also owns the Family Farm of 80 acres on Kale Avenue in Clayton County, Iowa.

No purple mountain majesty here, nor amber waves of grain.  It was too early in the growing season to have the grain field ready for harvest.

No comments: