Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Have We Learned Anything? Yet!!!!
On March 5, 2007 I posted a Blog entitled "Power or Greed - Being Self Centered" which focused on the Walter Reed Army Hospital and how our Heroes were being subjected to poor living conditions in some areas of this Medical Complex. In fact the conditions were so terrible our Congress commenced Hearings so these conditions could be resolved and plans put into place so that this would never happen again.
Today, I would like to share a few personal experiences that I have recently encountered as a Retired member of our United States Military. I have one health problem. Colestrol levels that require medication. Every four months I visit my Doctor and she orders a series of test to insure that I am not causing my body any more harm. I believe one of the test is a "Liver Function Test." Once I have my lab sheet I proceed to the firm that does these test. Each and every time I do this I must sign an "Advance Beneficiary Notice (ABN)" because it appears that Medicare will not/may not pay for the request, and I feel required test. Why else would my Doctor order them? I did serve our United States of America for over twenty-one years at sea and on shore. I do not consider myself a Hero as we now observe those who participate in Country in the Middle East as they are engaged in the War on Terrorism; but I most certainly feel that I am certainly qualified for adequate medical care without all the escape provisions of a Civilian Medical Care Program. I will quote the ABN here: "Medicare does not pay for these tests as often as this (denied as too frequent). My concern is how can some office clerk or bureaucat in some remote office determine what is too frequent? I trust my Doctor. She has the requisite training that competent governmental authority has deemed proper. Or is the competent governmental authority in this case also suspect?
The next situation I would like to relate here today is: I have a loving spouse. Last Year she participated in a routine series of test for cancer. The firm/individual determined that additional test were warranted. The Doctor ordered additional test. As I understand it, the organization that did the test did not get the appropriate signature on some required paperwork so that the additional test cost now are my responsibility. So I today, I ask, "Is it my duty or the duty of my spouse to ascertain that all the required paper work is correctly and properly filled out?" Maybe I am a trusting soul, but it would appear to me that the Medical Care Professionals would take pride in their work, their paper work and reputation and complete the paper work in a timely and correct manner. Again, I refer to my own experience in the United States Military, the United States Navy to be specific. For twenty-one years I served in the administrative area. In the Navy I was known as a Yeoman. Paper work was my speciality. In addition to my one tour on an aircraft carrier in the early 1960s, I served on three destroyer types. In each of these three destroyer types I was the Ship's Secretary, the Leading Yeoman, The Captain's Writer and the Administrative Officer. While it is true that the official title of Administrative officer was held by a Commissioned Officer, it was my responsibility as the expert in the field of Navy administration to function in a correct and timely manner while the Officer simply signed off on my work. A situation of great trust being placed on me.
For those who may want to know what level of responsibility fell upon me as the Ship's Secretary and the Administrative officer on each of these Destroyer/Guided Missile Destroyer Type ships I will share one small aspect of my duties.
Each time the ship gets underway a list of exceptions must be handed to the last line-handler that throws off the last line which holds the ship to the pier. This list of exceptions is known as "The Sailing Diary." This is vital in as much as if the ship should be destroyed while at sea someone has to notify the next of kin who was lost in the tragic event. If the master list maintained ashore does not contain the list of those absent on sailing a serious mistake could be made as to who went down with the ship. Can you imagine Parents or a Spouse being notified that their loved one went down with a ship, when in fact they missed Ship's Movement?
As our U. S. Congress in both houses investigates the Walter Reed Indcident/s and also other Military Health Care organizations in search of mistakes and possible cures, may I remind each of you that there are also civilian organizations that are not really much better in providing adequate health care to thousands of veterans who have served our Great Nation. I know for a fact that we can do better. Each of us, and everyone in the Health Care Industry needs to embrace their duties, their responsibilities and also take pride in their respective duties. From the Halls of Congress down to the individual who draws blood for my Liver Function Test, as well as the organizations they work for must take personal pride in a job well done. At the end of the day the most important, and also vital question will always remain: How could I have performed my task today to deliver better and correct Medical Care to our Heroes of the United States of America. Those who serve, those who will serve and those who have served certainly make it possible for these Lawmakers and yes, these Health Care Providers to enjoy their lifestyles away from fear of being attacked in our very own United States of America.

No comments: