Thursday, April 15, 2010

What Is Going On?
For several weeks now I have contemplated the current situation regarding our United States of America.
As most know, I have been active with my communications with our duly elected leaders. I recently attended one of each session regarding the property tax roll-backs conducted by the Bibb Board of Education, the Bibb County Commissioners and the City of Macon, Georgia. While I am not now a resident of the City I also know that Macon's situation can soon become a concern for all those who reside in Middle Georgia.
In addition to the local Governments, the State of Georgia and also our Federal Government are facing dynamic challenges. The lack of sales tax revenue has caused severe problems for the State of Georgia while the Federal Government is expending financial resources it does not have at this time.
I have often heard the comment that our governments at all levels are "Spending Money Like a Drunken Sailor" I can assure you that such is not the case. As a Retired Sailor I can assure you that the Bar Keeper knew when to cut us Sailors off. When we ran out of money so did the flow of adult beverages. Unfortunately our lawmakers have not been cut off by "We The People."
In one sense, "We The People," are the Bar Keepers. That stated, "We The People," have failed in the execution of our responsibilities. As I contemplate the future, maybe "We The People" can step up to the plate and commence executing our responsibilities this November 2010. We can become involved and vote for appropriate candidates who will realize that we cannot continue as we currently are.
While we do not know for sure who initially made the statement: "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result" I would suggest that now is the time to adopt a new mantra or concept. We must change our ways and become involved in our government at all levels before our current generation of duly elected leaders become an even greater millstone around our necks.
Most of you know that I am a proud Grand Dad of several Grand Children. I would like to be able to think that when they grow up that they will also have the same opportunities as I have enjoyed in my life. Given the current economic situation and the rate that our Governments are expending money I can not foresee this as being possible unless drastic action is accomplished very quickly.
I firmly believe that we as a Nation cannot spend our way out of debt!! I may be viewed as a traditionalist but I will state that I have never heard of a Society being able to spend their way out of debt. Correct me if I am incorrect. I await your guidance and reply to this statement.
From my own point of view, many who have gone on before us have given their lives to protect the United States of America, many are currently defending our very way of life, and I suspect that many more in the future will also do so. How can we as a Nation simply ignore their sacrifice of their lives for the common good we now have.
When I state the word "Sacrifice" I use it as a verb. Many have endured the loss of their lives so that we can be a free country.
Our Children and our Grand Children certainly deserve a future such as we currently enjoy. We simply cannot let our Nation flounder because of the self-centered actions of too many of our current duly elected leaders.

No comments: