Friday, February 11, 2011

"Exploring the Color Line"
I post this entry today to encourage my Fellow Middle Georgia Citizens to participate in the ongoing series which is also the title of this Blog.

The Tubman African American Museum is hosting a weekly discussion group to learn about a book entitled "BRAINWASHED" by Tom Burrell.  Mr. Burrell book has a subtitle "Challenging the Myth of Black Inferiority.'

I quote here a small portion of Mr. Burrell's comments in the introduction:

"Over time, I've learned that the root of the problem wasn't what was being done to me--it was what I'd been brainwashed to feel about myself."

It must be remembered that Mr. Tom Burrell along with a partner launched a company in 1971 which would later become Burrell Advertising.   As I read this book and  participated in the weekly discussions at the Tubman I have discovered that Mr. Burrell has the freedom to discuss the "brainwashing" of his fellow people.  I have also discovered that even my fellow people of the white community have been brainwashed. 

The final discussion of this book will be conducted on Tuesday, February 15, 2011 at the Tubman Museum starting at 6:30 P.M.

The conculusion of the "Brainwashed" study will be held at The Historic Douglass Theatre at 335 Martin Luther King Blvd, Macon, Georgia on Tuesday, February 22, 2011 starting at 7:00 P.M.  This event will feature a young man who was from Macon, Georgia.  His name is Lewis Williams and he attended Kent State University and Syracuse University before working for Burrell Communications.  He is the Chief Creative Officer at Burrell Communications.

I would encourage you to learn more about Mr. Lewis Williams by visiting his personal website:


Please take the time to attend the Tuesday, February 15th event at the Tubman and also the Tuesday, February 22nd event at the Douglass Theatre.

I would also suggest that every High School Student in Middle Georgia take the time to read the book "Brainwashed" by Tom Burrell.

No comments: