Sunday, May 01, 2011

Exploring the Color Line

Several months ago, January to be exact, I commenced a journey of "Exploring the Color Line" conducted by the Tubman African American Museum here in Macon, Georgia.  The series of events was supported by the "Georgia Huanities Council."

During the course of the series we read four books.  The Book for January 2011 was:

Running A Thousand Miles for Freedom
by
William and Ellen Craft

The Book for February 2011 was:

Brainwashed
by
Tom Burrell

The Book for March 2011 was:

Walking With the Wind
by
John Lewis
Mr. Lewis currently serves a Georgia District in
the U. S. House of Representatives

The Book for April 2011 was:

High on the Hog
A Culinary Journey from Africa to America
by
Dr. Jessica B. Harris

The picture at the top of this Post shows Dr. Harris autographing a copy of her book for an attendee at the Series Conclusion which was held on Saturday, April 30, 2011 at Theatre Macon.

Dr. Harris gave a "book talk" about her book "High on the Hog" and kept the attendees, all 30 of us, spell bound for about 50 minutes.  After the presentation by Dr. Harris we were all given the opportunity to enjoy a "Soul Food Feast" which was Catered by Gloria Terry. 

I enjoyed the talk and the Soul Food Feast.  I had never consumed Bean Pie, but it was great.  All the other food items were terrific. 

I enjoyed this series which was entitled "Exploring the Color Line."  It caused me to read books that I never knew were in print and they presented new information to me.  The book by the Craft's who commenced their journey in Macon, Georgia was especially interesting for me.  I have resided in Middle Georgia for well over 36 years and I have never heard of the Craft's.

The book by Tom Burrell was very informative.  He gave us a formula to improve our Society.  From my point of view, if everyone in the U. S. A. followed this formula we would have no racial problems whatsoever.

The John Lewis Book was very interesting.  Mr. Lewis is but a few days younger than I, the Flower Child, and he presented the Story of the Racial Struggles of the 60s in a new and informative manner for me.  I must admit that I grew up in a one race society and in the early 60s I was a young farm kid who had just joined the U. S. Navy.  My goal in the early 60s was to perform my duties in the best manner possible so that I could complete my enlistment without getting into too much trouble.

The High on the Hog book by Dr. Harris was the most interesting book because she informed her readers about something that everyone needs, consumes and enjoys.  Food!!!

Even back in the days of slave trade with the "Middle Passage" which transported the slaves to the New World and took material to England  then  loaded with supplies for the trip with slaves from Africa to the New World the Sea Captains  were efficient managers of their cargo in all three legs of the voyage.  This caused the culinary concepts of Africa, the New World and Europe to be blended which is one of the focuses of the Book.

Yes, an informative series of programs which allowed me to learn a lot and to also respect the legacy of our current culture in the United States of America which involves both Blacks and Whites.


No comments: