Sunday, May 01, 2011

The Vietnam Wall

The Traveling Wall Visited
Veterans High School
in
Houston County Georgia
April 28 - May 1, 2011

 Today, Sunday, May First My Bride and I took the opportunity to visit the Traveling Wall.  I had visited the Traveling Wall a few years ago which it stopped in Macon, but I felt compelled to visit it once again.

 In the mid 60s I served on the Staff of U. S. Naval Forces Europe in London, England.  One of the U. S. Marine Guards assigned there was Rodney M. Davis.  I recall his name plate at the Guard Desk when he was on duty, but I never knew him as an individual.  Years later when I was stationed in Macon, Georgia I learned of him and the fact that he is the only individual from Macon, Georgia who was awarded the Medal of Honor for his deeds during the Vietnam War.

I inquired as to which panel I could find Rodney M. Davis and I was informed to look in line 8 of Panel 26 East.  As you can tell I obtained a picture of this panel, which is displayed above.

 Everyone viewing the Traveling Wall stood in awe and appreciation.  The wall contains the names of over 58,000 Heroes who gave all during the Vietnam War.

As I departed the traveling wall I had to pause and take one more picture of the scene.  It was a peaceful time, but also allowed for me to reflect on this time in my life when I served in the U. S. Navy.  I never saw duty in Vietnam or the waters surrounding Vietnam.  However My own Brother was a Tonkin Gulf Veteran.  He proudly wore his Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club Patch.  He was a crewmenber of the USS Turner Joy which was attacked in the Tonkin Gulf on August 4, 1964.


No comments: