Wednesday, November 23, 2011

"A Date Which Will Live in Infamy"

The President of the United States made this statement on December 8, 1941 and he was talking about the "Attack on Pearl Harbor" by the Japanese which they conducted on December 7, 1941.

As we prepare to remember this even which happened seventy years ago I am sure that many like myself will only have the recorded history of this day or the story of this event as it was relayed to us by our Parents.

I have visited Pearl Harbor several times during the course of my U. S. Navy Career and I have memories of standing at attention on the flight deck of the USS Ranger (CVA-61) as we passed the Arizona Memorial.  I know that I will never forget.

However during recent weeks I have, and I am confident that you have also been exposed to the Public Service Announcements that December 7, 2011 is the last day you can revise your Medicare Plan for the coming year.

I know that the first time I heard this Public Service Announcement I immediately thought of the quote that our President made as he prepared to sign the declaration of war on December 8, 1941.

"A Date Which Will Live in Infamy"

I suspect that our Government could have selected a more appropriate day to cease taking revisions to the Medicare Plan for us older folks.  Or is our government attempting to revise our focus on December 7, 1941?

No comments: