Monday, November 14, 2011

"I Fry Mine In Lard"

I enjoyed the opportunity to attend a fine music concert yesterday, Sunday, November 13, 2011.  During the course of the performance I had a "flash back" to my days as a performer in the Garnavillo High School's annual performance of George Frideric Handel's "Messiah."  More about the cause of my flash back later.

I was a Freshman in the Mixed Chorus of over 100 voices as we practiced the Messiah in 1953.  Our instructor, the voice/music teacher was a graduate of Northwestern University's famed Bienen School of Music.  Her mantra was that she could teach anyone to sing.  A few days prior to our performance on a Sunday afternoon in the High School Gym she took the time to tell us about audience conduct during the performance of the Messiah.  She told us this story from her time as a Chorus member:

Her group was performing "The Messiah" and I suspect it was at a Chicago location because of the location of Northwestern.  Two "matrons" were seated in the front row and really not paying much attention to the concert.  In fact they were discussing a matter that later proved to be most amusing.  During the performance of "The Hallejuah Chorus" where the singers pause a brief moment before the final "Hallejuah" the entire venue was able to hear the comment:  "I Fry Mine In Lard." 

Our Chorus Director/also the Voice Teacher told us this story so that we would share it with our family and friends prior to the performance so that no one would make this error at our Performance.

Needless to say, we all heard this story every year, always a few days prior to the performance because each year there were always new Chorus members - the Freshmen.  Additionally there were always new families attending the performance.  Please be aware that this High School was located in a town of 700 citizens and the High School was attended by over 120 Scholars.  If I recall correctly, there was always over 100 singers in the Mixed Chorus.  In fact, I have fond memories of singing the "First Tenor" Solos my Senior Year of High School. 

Now, for the balance of the story and the reason I had the "flash back" yesterday afternoon at a very nice concert venue right here in Macon, Georgia.

There was this individual seated to my left who waited until the performance started to unzip her handbag to acquire a cough drop.  Then zip it back shut.  Then the unwrapping of the cough drop.  I would suspect that she had not lubricated the zipper so it generated a fair amount of disturbance.  A few minutes later the coughing commenced.  Then the concert attendee seated in front of the loud zipper owner also had to have a coughing spell.  Needless to say this all generated the need for a new quest for another cough drop.  Thus a repeat of the zipper noise to open the handbag as well as close it again as the next cough drop was acquired. 

I thought to myself, why was not this whole procedure anticipated prior to the commence of the performance?  It would have been much more civil of the lady concerned to have planned ahead.  I can appreciate why no one would want to miss the concert.  It was a grand event and we enjoyed it very much, even though the zipper was a distraction. 

As I prepared to post this entry I also learned that the Bienen School of Music at Northwestern University is regarded as one of the premier music institutions in the United States.  When I was in High School as part of the Mixed Chorus I was not aware of the reputation of this School of Music or the background of our Concert Director/Music Teacher.  I do recall that she was a happy person; however she could keep all of us boys in line with a simple display of her anger with us when we misbehaved.  We all did respect her, not only because of her ability; but for her age.  We never knew her age, but we all thought she must have been in her 70s.  After we graduated we did learn of her position in the local community and our respect increased.

Thus, when I attend any Concert/Music Event I arrive early enough to get situated, read the program and attend to any personal problems that I anticipate so as not to disturb my fellow concert goers.

I shall never forget "Lucia Roggman."  Here is her bio which was printed in my Class of 1958 Yearbook:

"Miss Roggman, who works so hard in the vocal music department, is a graduate of Chicago Musical  College, Grinnell College, and received her B.A. and B.M. at Northwestern."  Thank You!!!!

I shall never forget:

"I Fry Mine In Lard."

1 comment:

Norma said...

Love that comment! David never told me that story.