Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The Disease of the Week

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)

Restless Leg Syndrome

In addition to the current fad of "Obesity News" there seems to be an abundance of information concerning Seasonal Affective Disorder and Restless Leg Syndrome. All of this coverage reminds me of a story that I heard from a real live person a few years ago.

This 74 year old woman made a life style choice to move from the Country to a High Rise Senior Citizen's Complex in a major Georgia city to be near here 94 year old Mother. Part of the process of obtaining an apartment in this progressive High Rise Senior Citizen's Complex was to obtain a complete physical. The Young Doctor ordered a "Cholesterol Check" for the 74 year old. This was done after it was ascertained that the potential resident discussed her normal morning breakfast of two fried eggs, a few strips of bacon and a couple of slices of toast with butter and orange marmalade. The young doctor was amazed that the woman was still alive. The woman was granted a waiver when she told the young doctor that she was born before they had invented Cholesterol.

To conclude this story, I found out last year that the 94 year old Mother passed away at the age of 97. The 74 year old woman is still alive in the Senior Citizen's High Rise Complex and she is still enjoying life and eating her normal breakfast.

While this may not always be the case for all peoples, I am confident that if we learn enough about all the diseases and read enough about them we can all begin to feel as if we have everything that comes along. I do believe that a lot of what we suffer from today is an over abundance of information. Admittedly there are those who do have real problems; however I am a fairly old person myself and I continue to enjoy life. Admittedly I do not dwell on what is wrong with me. Plenty of my peers tell me about my shortcomings!!! So I will leave my problems with them.

In the meantime, I think I will go outside and soak up some daylight to avoid the Seasonal Affective Disorder. From my research on Restless Leg Syndrome I have learned that exercise during the day can also help keep this problem at bay.

I realize that I am not a Medical Professional, but I drove by a Holiday Inn - Express just yesterday. Have a Great Day and as always, Enjoy Life. The alternative is not that nice!!!!

No comments: