Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Devalue U. S. Currency
or
Print More Currency
Yes, we are indeed in troubled times. According to a recent News report I viewed, even the Country of Japan is experiencing financial difficulties.
I have memories of how the British Government handled the situation in 1967. I was stationed there and recall when the Pound Sterling was $2.80 in U. S. Dollars. Then on 18 November 1967 they devalued it to $2.40 in U. S. Dollars. A devaluation of 14.3 percent.
With all the recent events here in the United States of America and also around the World maybe it may be the best solution possible. Should we devalue the Dollar?
Certainly something to think about. Admittedly the faith other countries have in the U. S. Currency System will decrease, but I would submit that it is possible that the faith in our Currency System has already decreased.
Maybe it is time for all of us to face reality. I for one do not feel that we can borrow ourselves out of this situation. I am also confident that our Grandchildren will not be able to repay the debt that we are currently incurring to finance our "TARP" rescue system or the Economic Rescue Program.
As everyone knows the current situation is not just a Federal Government Problem, the current economic situation reaches into the Homes of every Citizen, the Local Governments as well as the State Governments.
Devaluation is a drastic measure, but so is the impact of the current solution recently enacted by our U. S. Congress.
Do we have the time to wait this one out? To learn about the British Pound you may visit:
It may be time for us all to remove our heads from the sand pile.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello,

Maybe this is just another way for the U. S. to really devalue the dollar without saying the word devalue.

William said...

eeek! don't devalue it any more! My wife and I are planning a trip to Europe this summer and our worthless dollar is going to kill me! Everything over there costs so much more now!

Now $1 buys you .79 Euro. When my wife and I went in 2000 it was $1 bought 1.20 Euro. That's a 30% difference!

What a difference 8 years can make...